Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) The city council hereby declares that each of the following acts constitutes a public nuisance in the city:
(1) Maintaining any animal in a foul, offensive, obnoxious, filthy or unsanitary condition;
(2) The infliction of physical injury upon any person by any animal unless the person who, at the time the injury was sustained, was either (a) provoking the animal, or (b) willfully trespassing or committing some other tort upon the premises occupied by the owner or keeper of the animal;
(3) The unprovoked infliction of physical injury by an animal upon another animal that occurs off the property of the owner or keeper of the animal inflicting the injury;
(4) Threatening behavior by an animal toward any person that occurs in such circumstances as to cause such person reasonably to fear for his/her physical safety unless the person who, at the time of the animal's threatening behavior, was either (a) provoking the animal, or (b) willfully trespassing or committing some other tort upon the premises occupied by the owner or keeper of the animal;
(5) Any animal that runs at large;
(6) Any animal that damages real or personal property of any person other than the owner or keeper and which occurs off the property of the owner or keeper;
(7) The utterance of barks, cries, whines, or other sounds of any animal that are so loud, so frequent and continued over so long a period of time as to deprive persons residing in two or more residences of the comfortable enjoyment of their residences;
(8) Maintaining any rooster more than four months old within a residential zone; or
(9) Maintaining any animal in violation of an order issued by a hearing officer pursuant to this division.
(B) The provisions of this section shall not apply to any animal owned by a public entity and used for military or law enforcement purposes.
(`64 Code, Sec. 5-2) (Ord. No. 1571, 2239, 2251, 2388, 2639)