Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) The Commission shall have the following duties and powers:
(1) To hold quarterly public meetings and keep a written record of its proceedings which shall be a public record;
(2) To initiate, sponsor or conduct, alone or in cooperation with other public or private agencies, public programs to further the development and public awareness of, and interest in the fine and performing arts, and preservation of the cultural heritage of the city; provided that, no expenditure of municipal funds for any such activity shall be authorized or made without the prior approval of the City Council;
(3) To seek and encourage donations and grants to the city for civic cultural purposes, including, but not limited to, art and theater, to advise the city regarding the receipt of such donations and grants and transmit any funds so received to the City Treasurer, and to recommend to the Mayor and City Council the purposes and amounts of expenditures of such funds;
(4) To advise the city concerning the receipt of or purchase of works of art to be placed on municipal property;
(5) To advise and assist the city in connection with such other artistic and heritage activities as may be referred to it by the city; and
(6) To provide to the Mayor and Council an annual report summarizing its activities for the preceding 12-month period and making such budgetary requests and recommendations as it may deem necessary and appropriate to carry forth its activities and goals for the next budget year. This report shall be submitted prior to October 1 of each calendar year to facilitate its consideration in the budgeting process of the city.
(B) The city will support such activities of the Commission with such funds as deemed necessary by the Mayor and City Council.
(1999 Code, § 33.22) (Ord. 2036, passed 4-19-1999)