Skip to code content (skip section selection)
The following standards shall apply to all lands within the AO-1 District, unless otherwise stated.
(A) Non-residential uses and multi-family residential.
(1) The light source of outdoor lighting fixtures shall be fully shielded and downward facing so as not to allow any light above the horizontal, as measured at the luminaire.
(2) Outdoor lighting fixtures shall be placed so as to not cause excessive glare or light trespass.
(3) On-site parking areas shall be constructed of asphalt, dyed concrete or other non-reflective paving surfaces.
(4) All light fixtures that are required to be shielded shall be installed and maintained in such a manner that the shielding is effective.
(5) Canopy lighting shall be designed to conceal the illumination source and the lighting fixture shall not extend below the canopy skirt.
(6) Exterior sign lights shall be shielded and oriented downward with respect to the sign.
(B) Single-family and agricultural uses. Single-family residential and agricultural uses are exempt from the standards contained in this section; provided that, such uses do not affect the safety of the public or persons utilizing Scott Air Force Base or MidAmerica St. Louis Airport.
(C) Electronic display signs. Electronic display signs shall be permitted within the AO-1 District under the following conditions.
(1) The maximum brightness of electronic signs shall not exceed 5,000 nits (candelas per square meter) during daylight hours, or of 500 nits (candelas per square meter) between dusk to dawn.
(2) Any image or message or portion thereof displayed on the sign shall have a minimum duration of 15 seconds and shall be of static display.
(3) Electronic signs are prohibited in the AO-2 District.
(4) Electronic display signs shall comply with all other applicable regulations set forth in this chapter.
(D) Temporary lights. Special use permits shall be required for temporary lights such as spot lights. A permit may be granted if, upon review, the Director finds that the proposed lighting will not create excessive glare, sky glow or light trespass.
(E) Lighting plan. Within the AO-1 District, a lighting plan shall be included as part of the required site plan submittal or subdivision construction drawings which shall contain, but not be limited to, the following:
(1) The location of the site where the outdoor light fixtures will be installed;
(2) Plans indicating the location on the premises of each outdoor light fixture, both proposed and any already existing on the site; and
(3) A description of the outdoor light fixtures including, but not limited to, manufacturer's catalog cuts and drawings.
(Ord. 3718, passed 6-20-2011)