Skip to code content (skip section selection)
For the purpose of this chapter, the following definitions shall apply unless the context clearly indicates or requires a different meaning.
CANVASSER. Any person, firm, corporation or entity including agents and employees of any firm, corporation or entity whether a resident of the city or not, who engages in canvassing.
CANVASSING. Includes the act of any person, whether a resident of the city or not, traveling by foot, vehicle or other type of conveyance to go from place to place, from house to house or street to street by:
(1) Conducting a poll, survey or petition drive;
(2) Sharing, communicating or otherwise conveying ideas, views or beliefs; or
(3) Disseminating oral or written information to a person willing to directly receive such information, for the political, religious, charitable purposes or otherwise.
CHARITABLE. Patriotic, philanthropic, social service, health, welfare, benevolent, educational, civic, cultural or fraternal.
COMMERCIAL BUILDING. Any place of business within the city or any structure used by any firm, corporation or entity for the purpose of sale of any items on a commercial basis.
HANDBILLS. Include any commercial or non-commercial handbill, pamphlet, circular, newspaper, paper, newsletter, booklet, poster, leaflet, brochure or other printed or written materials that have been cast, deposited, placed, scattered or thrown onto the property of a business or residence in the absence of a subscription agreement.
HEARING OFFICER. The person designated or responsible for hearing and deciding any appeal relating to or regarding the denial or revocation of a solicitors permit and issuing a decision as required by this chapter.
PEDDLER. Any individual, firm, partnership, joint venture, association corporation, limited liability company, estate, trust, receiver, trustee, syndicate or other lawful entity, organization, society or association who or which engages in peddling.
PEDDLING. The selling, bartering or exchanging or the offering for sale, barter or exchange of any tangible personal property upon or along the streets, highways or public places of the city or from house to house, whether at one place thereon or from place to place, from any wagon, truck, pushcart or other vehicle or from movable receptacles of any kind, but shall not include the delivery routes where the purchaser has previously requested the seller to stop and exhibit his or her items.
RESIDENCE. Any separate living unit occupied for residential purposes by one or more persons, contained within any type of building or structure.
SOLICITATION. Occurs when a solicitor travels by foot, vehicle or any other type of conveyance, from place to place, house to house or from street to street while engaging in one or more of the following activities:
(1) Seeking to obtain orders for the purchase of goods, wares, merchandise, personal property or services of any kind, character or description for any kind of remuneration or consideration regardless of advance payment of sought;
(2) Seeking to obtain prospective customers for application or purchase of insurance of any type;
(3) Seeking to obtain prospective customers or clients for application or purchase of stocks, bonds, mutual funds or other investments;
(4) Seeking to obtain subscriptions to books, magazines, periodicals, newspapers and every other type or kind of publication;
(5) Seeking to obtain gifts or contributions of money, clothing or other property of value for the support or benefit, in whole or in part, of any charitable or non-profit association, organization, corporation or project;
(6) Delivery of handbills;
(7) Seeking to engage an individual in conversation at a residence or commercial building for the purpose of promoting or facilitating the receipt of information regarding religious belief, political position or charitable conduct;
(8) Activities falling within the definition of canvassing; and/or
(9) Activities falling within the definition of peddling.
SOLICITOR. Any individual, firm, partnership, joint venture, association corporation, limited liability company, estate, trust, receiver, trustee, syndicate or other lawful entity, organization, society or association who or which engages in solicitation.
(Ord. 3775, passed 9-4-2012; Ord. 3858, passed 2-2-2015; Ord. 4109, passed 9-3-2019)