Skip to code content (skip section selection)
Sewer service rates of the city shall be as follows:
(A) Monthly rates for sewage service. There shall be and there are hereby established monthly rates and charges for the use of and the service supplied by the sewerage system of the City of O'Fallon, St. Clair County, Illinois, such rates and charges hereby established being as follows:
(1) Sewer service rates. Effective October 1, 2019, the sewer service rate shall be $16.40 for the first 1,000 gallons plus an additional $10.15 for each 1,000 gallons of wastewater per month. The minimum monthly charge shall be $7.80. Where wastewater flow is recorded in a control manhole required by § 51.063, the sewer service rate shall be $16.40 for the first 1,000 gallons plus an additional $10.15 for each 1,000 gallons of wastewater per month as recorded in the control manhole. If no control manhole is present to record wastewater flow at a point of service, wastewater flow shall be determined by the amount of water used; unless other sections of this chapter are applicable for determining flow or cost of sanitary sewer service.
(2) Surcharge for industrial users.
(a) Effective January 1, 2020, the following is the procedure for determining an industrial user surcharge:
1. Obtain representative B.O.D. and suspended solids concentrations in the waste. This may require 24-hour composite sampling for one or more days;
1. B.O.D. surcharge equals (B.O.D. — 200) x number of million gallons used x 8.33 x $0.16 per pound;
3. Suspended solids (SS) surcharge equals (SS — 250) x number of million gallons used x 8.33 x $0.21; and
4. Total phosphorus (TP) surcharge equals (TP — 10) x number of million gallons used x 8.33 x $4.24 per pound;
5. Total nitrogen (TN) surcharge equals (TN — 40) x number of million gallons used x 8.33 x $0.93 per pound;
6. Zinc (Z) surcharge equals (Z — 0.05) x number of million gallons used x 8.33 x $174.10 per pound; and
7. The above surcharges are added monthly to the sewer service rate.
8. The surcharge rates shall be adjusted on each annual anniversary, beginning January 2021, based upon the O'Fallon Wastewater Treatment Facility organic surcharge determination calculation.
(b) All measurements, tests, and analyses of the characteristics of water and wastes to determine the industrial user surcharge factors shall be conducted in conformation with § 51.064.
(B) All commercial and industrial users of the sewerage system of the city who do not use the water services of the city shall be required to install a control manhole as required by § 51.063 equipped with a metering device approved by the City Engineer which records the total sewage flow for the purpose of determining the basis for user charges as provided by division (A) above.
(C) The sewer service rate shall be subject to increase effective on each annual anniversary, beginning October 2021, based upon the annual increase in the Bureau of Labor Statistics, Consumer Price Index, All Urban Consumers, U.S. City Average, Water and Sewer Maintenance, or comparable index if the same is no longer published, for the month of May.
(E) The rates for the summer billing periods for residential users shall be the average of the previous three-quarters sewer charges.
(1999 Code, § 51.070) (Ord. 818, passed 9-1-1977; Ord. 1405, passed 11-6-1989; Ord. 1427, passed 4-2-1990; Ord. 1801, passed 11-20-1995; Ord. 2050, passed 9-7-1999; Ord. 3204, passed 9-15-2003; Ord. 3345, passed 6-20-2005; Ord. 3356, passed 7-18-2005; Ord. 3416, passed 2-21-2006; Ord. 3629, passed 6-15-2009; Ord. 3659, passed 4-5-2010; Ord. 3823, passed 3-17-2014Ord. 4170, passed 12-21-2020)