A.   Certain Expenditures Allowed: The planning commission shall have the power and authority to employ consulting advice on municipal problems, a secretary and such clerks as may be necessary, and to pay for their services, and for such other expenses as such commission may lawfully incur, including the necessary disbursements incurred by its members in the performance of their duties as members of said commission out of funds at the disposal of the commission as authorized by the city council.
   B.   Powers And Duties: It shall be the duty of the planning commission, and they shall have the power, except as otherwise provided by law:
      1.   To recommend and make suggestions to the city council and to all other public authorities concerning the laying out, widening, extending, parking and locating of streets, sidewalks and boulevards, the relief of traffic congestion, the betterment of housing and sanitation conditions and the establishment of zones of districts limiting the use, height, area and bulk of buildings and structures;
      2.   To recommend to the council and all other public authorities plans for the regulations of future growth, development and beautification of the city in respect to its public and private buildings and works, streets, parks, grounds and vacant lots, and plans consistent with the future growth and development of the city in order to secure to its inhabitants, sanitation, proper service of all public utilities, shipping and transportation facilities;
      3.   To do and perform any and all other acts and things necessary or proper to carry out the provisions of this chapter; and, in general, to study and to propose such measures as may be advisable for the promotion of the public interest, health, morals, safety, comfort, convenience and welfare of the city and of the area six (6) miles adjacent thereto.
   C.   Recommendations: The planning commission may make recommendations to any person with reference to the location of buildings, structures or works to be erected, constructed or altered by or for such person; and any person having charge of the construction, placing or designing of buildings or other structures and improvements, or objects of art, may call upon the planning commission for a report thereon. (1962 Code § 2-2-6)