Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) Each dryer shall be individually vented or manifolded into a common vent to remove products of combustion.
(b) Exhaust systems shall be provided for the removal of moisture and lint from dryers and shall be vented directly to the outside with necessary collectors. If built-in collectors are provided, such systems shall not be required. The vent or exhaust system shall not exhaust into a chimney, gas vent or gas vent connector.
(c) A master shut-off valve or circuit breaker, as required for each bank of dryers, shall be provided.
(d) Partitions in laundromats, when placed in and around any of the equipment, shall be of noncombustible material. The ceiling shall be properly firestopped.
(e) Floors shall be designed and reinforced to carry the total superimposed loading, plus the required live load.
(f) Requirements for self-service dry cleaning machines are a follows:
(1) Only low hazard liquid solvent, as defined in the Ohio Building Code, shall be used in self-service dry cleaning machines. Such machines shall be approved by Underwriters’ Laboratories, Inc., or the American Gas Association Laboratories.
(2) Plans approved by the State Fire Marshal shall be submitted to the Division of Building and Zoning Inspection, the Department of Health and the Fire Prevention Bureau of the City.
(3) Spotting with flammable solvents is prohibited.
(4) Self-service dry cleaning machines shall be permitted only in buildings of one story, having a concrete floor and no basement.
(5) A qualified attendant shall be present at all times when equipment is in operation.
(6) Units shall be separated from public areas by properly constructed partitions and the connecting door shall be kept locked.
(7) The enclosure required in paragraph (f)(6) hereof shall not be a part of or interconnecting with those areas that contain heating devices requiring air for combustion, such as dryers, water heaters, boilers or furnaces.
(8) Ventilating systems shall be interlocking with equipment so that the latter cannot be operated without activating the exhaust system.
(9) A proper salvaging device for controlling spillage by gravity flow shall be provided.
(10) A step-by-step instruction list shall be posted in a conspicuous location near the equipment.
(11) Required fire extinguishers shall be provided.
(12) Pamphlet 32 of the National Fire Protection Association shall be recognized as an acceptable guide for the operation of self-service dry cleaning machines.
(Ord. 42-1981. Passed 2-23-81.)