Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) The requirements set forth in this Zoning Code for each district shall be minimum and shall apply uniformly to each class or kind of structure or land, and particularly thereto, except as hereinafter provided.
(b) No building, structure or land shall hereafter be used or occupied, and no building or structure, or any part thereof, shall hereafter be erected, constructed, reconstructed, moved or structurally altered, except in conformity with all of the provisions herein specified for the district in which it is located.
(Ord. 1-1988. Passed 4-11-88.)
(c) Within the Residential, Business and Industrial Districts, any use permit of less density, or of a less intrusive nature, shall be permitted in another Residential, Business or Industrial District permitting greater density or a more intrusive use, to the extent provided below, unless otherwise stated within this Zoning Code:
(1) Any use permitted in an R-1 District shall be permitted in R-2, R-3, R-4 and R-5 Districts.
(2) Any use permitted in an R-2 District shall be permitted in R-3, R-4 and R-5 Districts.
(3) Any use permitted in an R-3 District shall be permitted in R-4 and R-5 Districts.
(4) Any use permitted in an R-4 District shall be permitted in R-5 Districts.
(5) Any use permitted in a B-1 District shall be permitted in B-2, B-3, I-1 and I-2 Districts.
(6) Any use permitted in a B-2 District shall be permitted in B-3, I-1 and I-2 Districts.
(7) Any use permitted in a B-3 District shall be permitted in I-1 and I-2 Districts.
(8) Any use permitted in an I-1 District shall be permitted in I-2 Districts.
All yard, area, parking, building height and setback requirements shall be as provided in the district where the use is taking place.
(Ord. 106-1992. Passed 1-11-93.)
(d) No building or other structure shall hereafter be erected or altered:
(1) To exceed the height or bulk;
(2) To accommodate or house a greater number of families;
(3) To occupy a greater percentage of lot area; or
(4) To have narrower or smaller rear yards, front yards, side yards or other open spaces as herein required, or in any other manner contrary to the provisions of this Zoning Code.
(e) No part of a yard, or other open space, or off-street parking or loading space required about or in connection with any building for the purpose of complying with this Zoning Code, shall be included as part of a yard, open space or off-street parking or loading space similarly required for any other building.
(f) No yard or lot existing at the time of passage of this Zoning Code shall be reduced in dimension or area below the minimum requirements set forth herein. Yards or lots created after the effective date of this Zoning Code shall meet at least the minimum requirements established by this Zoning Code.
(g) All territory which may hereafter be annexed to the City shall be considered to be in the R-1 Resident District until otherwise classified.
(h) When a lot in one ownership is situated in part of the City of Norton and in part in an adjacent municipality, the regulations and restrictions of this Zoning Code shall be applied to that portion of such lot that lies in the City of Norton in the same manner as if the entire lot were situated therein.
(Ord. 1-1988. Passed 4-11-88; Ord. 69-2007. Passed 11-12-07.)