Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) A property owner may install a flagpole for displaying the American flag only, between the sidewalk and curb along the right-of-way of any public street or highway adjacent to his or her property. A property owner may also install underground lighting for the display of the flag. A permit for installation of flagpoles shall be obtained from the Director of Public Service.
(b) Installation of the flagpole and holder shall meet the following specifications:
(1) The flagpole holder shall be embedded in concrete, flush with the sidewalk or sodded area, and possess a cap or cover which shall be used when the holder is not used for the purpose of displaying the American flag;
(2) The flagpole holder shall not exceed three inches in diameter;
(3) The flagpole holder shall be installed not less than three feet from the curb. Where no curb is available, the holder shall be installed not less than six feet from the nearest edge of the roadway;
(4) Underground lighting for the flagpole shall be situated within a reasonable distance to the holder and meet all Underwriters' requirements governing installation; and
(5) At no time shall the flag, flagpole, or holder limit or restrict the view of pedestrian or vehicular traffic, nor shall a flag, flagpole, or holder be installed that comes in physical contact, or is likely to come in physical contact, with overhead wiring.
(Ord. 78-2004. Passed 6-28-04.)