Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) No person shall make any excavation or fill any excavation in any public place without first obtaining a permit to do so from the administrative authority, except as otherwise provided in this chapter. The fee for an excavation permit shall be determined by the Director of Public Service. The permit fee shall not apply to:
(1) A duly authorized officer or employee of the City;
(2) The construction and repair of public improvements requested and approved by the City; or
(3) To a public utility company operating under the laws of the State of Ohio and in the act of maintaining their property or equipment within a public right-of-way.
(b) An applicant for a permit under this chapter shall file with the Director of Public Service an application showing the following:
(1) The name and address of the owner, or agent in charge, of the property abutting the proposed work area;
(2) The name and address of the person doing the work;
(3) The location of the work area;
(4) Attached plans showing details of the proposed alteration;
(5) The estimated cost of the alteration; and
(6) Such other information as the Director finds necessary.
(c) The Director of Public Service shall issue a permit under this chapter when he or she finds that:
(1) The work will be done according to the standard specifications of the City for public work of like character;
(2) The operation will not unreasonably interfere with vehicular or pedestrian traffic, the demand and necessity for parking spaces and the means of ingress to and egress from the property affected and adjacent properties;
(3) The Ohio Utility Protection Service will be notified of such excavation before work commences;
(4) Recognized occupational safety measures used in the construction industry will be followed; and
(5) The health, welfare and safety of the public will not be unreasonably impaired.
(Ord. 80-2004. Passed 6-28-04.)