Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) All late night retail establishments and late night gasoline stations shall:
(1) Post a sign in the window which is conspicuous and states that there is a safe on the premises and it is not accessible to the employees on the premises;
(2) Post a sign in the window which is conspicuous and states that the cash register has fifty dollars ($50.00) or less in it;
(3) So arrange the signs posted in the window so as to provide a clear and unobstructed view of the interior of the store. In no case shall signs obstruct the view of the register from the street;
(4) Have a drop-safe on the premises which is bolted to the floor, or installed in the floor, or weighs at least 500 pounds;
(5) Position their registers so that they are visible from the street;
(6) The entire area utilized by customers of the late night retail establishment or late night gasoline station to park their cars must be lighted and maintained at a minimum of five foot candles per square foot. The level of the lighting shall be measured at the surface of the parking area;
(7) Install an alarm system which is connected to an alarm business which will alert the Police Department, to be used by employees in case of an emergency.
(8) If fewer than two employees are working between 1:00 a.m. and 6:00 a.m., any employee operating a cash register or cash registers must conduct business:
A. From a pay booth; or
B. By means of a pay and/or merchandise drawer or opening.
(9) Provide employees with robbery prevention and behavior training courses as approved by the Police Department before such employee works between the hours of 1:00 a.m. and 6:00 a.m.
(b) In addition to the above requirements, it is urged and recommended, though not required, that all late night retail establishment and late night gasoline stations continuously operate a video monitoring and recording system between the hours of 1:00 a.m. and 6:00 a.m.
(Ord. 68-2004. Passed 6-14-04.)