Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) No holder of a temporary instruction permit who has not attained the age of 18 years and no holder of a probationary driver's license shall drive a motor vehicle on any street, highway, or property used by the public for purposes of vehicular traffic or parking while using in any manner an electronic wireless communications device.
(b) Division (a) of this section does not apply to either of the following:
(1) A person using an electronic wireless communications device for emergency purposes, including an emergency contact with a law enforcement agency, hospital or health care provider, fire department, or other similar emergency agency or entity;
(2) A person using an electronic wireless communications device whose motor vehicle is in a stationary position and the motor vehicle is outside a lane of travel;
(3) A person using a navigation device in a voice-operated or hands-free manner who does not manipulate the device while driving.
(c) (1) Except as provided in division (c)(2) of this section, whoever violates division (a) of this section shall be fined one hundred fifty dollars ($150.00). In addition, the court shall impose a class seven suspension of the offender's driver's license or permit for a definite period of 60 days.
(2) If the person previously has been adjudicated a delinquent child or a juvenile traffic offender for a violation of this section, whoever violates this section shall be fined $300. In addition, the court shall impose a class seven suspension of the person’s driver’s license or permit for a definite period of one year.
(d) The filing of a sworn complaint against a person for a violation of this section does not preclude the filing of a sworn complaint for a violation of R.C. § 4511.205 for the same conduct. However, if a person is adjudicated a delinquent child or a juvenile traffic offender for a violation of this section and is also adjudicated a delinquent child or a juvenile traffic offender for a violation of R.C. § 4511.205 for the same conduct, the two offenses are allied offenses of similar import under R.C. § 2941.25.
(e) As used in this section, “electronic wireless communications device” includes any of the following:
(1) A wireless telephone;
(2) A personal digital assistant;
(3) A computer, including a laptop computer and a computer tablet;
(4) A text-messaging device;
(5) Any other substantially similar electronic wireless device that is designed or used to communicate via voice, image, or written word.