Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Prohibited: It is unlawful to place or permit, or cause to allow to be placed or permitted, or for a property owner adjacent to a public right-of-way to permit the continued existence of, anywhere upon a public street or sidewalk, anything which wholly or partially obstructs, impedes or blocks use by pedestrians or vehicles. This prohibition includes trees, bushes, sidewalks raised by trees or other means, un-level sidewalks, dirt, rocks, rubbish, construction materials, wood, trailers or vehicles. It shall be unlawful for any person to place a trash dumpster within public rights- of-way that impedes traffic or creates a driving hazard.
B. Temporary Dumpster Or Portable Storage Device:
1. A permit to place a dumpster, temporary dumpster, or portable storage device shall be for an initial term of not more than fourteen (14) days.
2. Provided the permit applicant is in compliance with the provisions of this title and any other applicable City regulations, a renewal permit may be approved and issued for an additional fourteen (14) day period upon application and payment of the permit renewal fee.
3. No more than one renewal permit shall be issued by the City for any dumpster, temporary dumpster, or portable storage device placed upon any City street.
4. The dumpster, temporary dumpster, or portable storage device shall be removed no later than the expiration date of the permit.
5. No dumpster, temporary dumpster, or portable storage device may be placed:
a. On any arterial or collector road in the City;
b. Within forty feet (40') of an intersection;
c. Within any prohibited or restricted area;
d. Nearer than fifteen feet (15') to any fire hydrant;
e. Within the designated travel lane of any street extending a distance of more than nine feet (9') from the curb line or edge of pavement;
f. To interfere with any required clear sight distance across any intersection;
g. To obstruct any pedestrian way or the travel lane of any public street; or
h. To interfere with the operation or maintenance of any public utility.
6. Any dumpster, temporary dumpster, or portable storage device shall have the following:
a. The name, address and telephone number of the dumpster, temporary dumpster, or portable storage device owner/operator displayed conspicuously on at least two (2) sides of the device;
b. Reflective tape shall be placed upon all four (4) sides of the dumpster, temporary dumpster, or portable storage device in such a manner as to make it visible at night;
c. Any dumpster, temporary dumpster, or portable storage device rollers or wheels shall be placed upon a wooden pad of at least six inches by six inches and at least three-fourths (3/4) of an inch in thickness, or on a similarly protective device in order to prevent damage to the road surface.
7. No dumpster, temporary dumpster, or portable storage device shall:
a. Be loaded in such a manner as to cause its contents to spill onto any street, sidewalk, or other area intended for pedestrian travel;
b. Contain any hazardous waste unless pursuant to a permit for such waste issued by the appropriate governmental entity;
c. Emit any noxious or offensive odor; or
d. Otherwise create any hazard or risk to public health.
8. In addition to the provisions of subsections B5, B6, and B7 of this section, the placement of any dumpster shall be in accordance with the requirements of the State of Utah Motor Vehicle Code.
9. If any damage or injury occurs to the asphalt, curb or sidewalk by a dumpster, temporary dumpster or portable storage device which is caused or the result of the use or occupancy of any street or road, the permittee shall be responsible and liable to restore the asphalt, curb or sidewalk to its original condition.
10. If the permittee refuses to properly restore the asphalt, curb and sidewalk to its original condition, the City may do so and collect the cost of the same from the permittee.
C. Encroachment: Trees, bushes or other growth, or the branches, fruit or leaves thereof, which encroach directly upon the street or sidewalk, or within eleven feet (11') above the street or seven feet (7') above the sidewalk, are prohibited.
D. Violation: Violations of this section may also be treated as a Class C misdemeanor, subject to penalty as provided in section 1-4-1 of this Code. (Ord. 2019-01, 6-4-2019)