1. Political Signs.
A. Political signs shall be permitted in all zones but not within any public street right-of-way or on any public land.
B. Such signs shall not exceed 8 square feet in area and shall not exceed 42 inches in height.
C. Political signs established in violation of this section may be immediately removed by the City.
(Ord. 14-19 – Feb. 15 Supp.)
2. Real Estate Signs.
A. Real estate signs shall be permitted in all zones, provided that all such signs shall be located on the property to which they apply, except as provided in Paragraph G of this section.
B. Signs are limited to one per street frontage.
C. Signs may be either freestanding, wall, or window signs.
D. Signs are limited to 12 square feet in the interim development and residential districts and 32 square feet in all other districts.
E. Freestanding signs are limited to six feet in height in the interim development and residential districts and eight feet in height in all other districts. All signs must be located a minimum of five feet from any lot line and shall not be located within the corner visual clearance pursuant to Section 167.01.
F. Real estate signs shall be removed within five days of final closing, lease, or rental.
G. In addition to lot-specific real estate signs, signs advertising the sale of lots within a subdivision shall be permitted. No more than one sign per entrance into the subdivision shall be allowed, and each sign shall be no greater than 32 square feet in area, no greater than 8 feet in height, and in place no longer than a period of three years.
H. Permits are not required for temporary real estate signs.
(Ord. 2021-03 - Apr. 21 Supp.)
3. Special Sale Signs. Special sale signs, including banner signs and vertical signs as specified by the City, may be displayed for no more than 10 continuous days up to five times per calendar year. Horizontal banners, yard signs, trailer signs, and all other similar signage are not allowed to substitute under any condition for the sign designs permitted by the City. A permit is required.
A. Banner Signs.
(1) Sale and grand opening signs as defined herein are permitted in all zones except residential. Such signs shall be removed immediately upon termination of the special event or at the end of 10 days, whichever comes first.
(2) All such signs must be attached to the façade, wall, or window of the building occupying or conducting the sale or event which they advertise, or erected on temporary posts/supports within one foot of the façade, wall, or window.
(3) No business shall have more than two such signs for each façade or wall of the building to which they are attached.
(4) The total sign size shall not exceed 50 percent of the size of the permitted wall sign or 25 square feet in area, whichever is greater.
B. Vertical Signs.
(1) Special event vertical as defined herein are permitted in all zones except residential. Such signs shall be removed immediately upon termination of the special event or at the end of 10 days, whichever comes first. Only sail-shaped vertical flag signs consistent with City specifications are allowed under these rules.
(2) The signs may be inserted into the ground, freestanding on a weighted base, or attached to a building, but in all cases shall be kept vertical.
(3) The signs shall be located only on the private property hosting the event, and not within any part of the City right-of-way.
(4) The number of vertical signs allowed per property shall be as follows:
a. For lots with a single business: Two signs per street frontage are permitted; however, one additional sign is permitted for each additional 50 feet of frontage over 100’.
b. For multi-tenant lots: Two signs per street frontage are permitted; however, one additional sign is permitted for each additional 50 feet of frontage over 100’. Tenants of multi-tenant lots shall ensure that collectively the display of vertical signs does not exceed the maximum number requirement, and any fines or penalties assessed for violation of these requirements may be assessed to the owners of all such signs placed on the multi-tenant lot.
4. Garage Sale Signs.
A. Garage sale signs are permitted in all zones but only on the property to which they apply.
B. Garage sale signs shall be displayed not for more than 48 hours before or more than four hours after the end of the sale.
C. Such signs shall not be larger than four square feet and no more than 2 signs may be posted for any garage sale.
D. Such signs shall not be located within the street right-of-way between the curb and sidewalk. They shall not be located on gravel shoulders, within landscaped areas or obstructing landscaped areas at street intersections, nor shall they be attached to any traffic control posts or other public structures.
E. A permit is not required for garage sale signs.
5. Community Event Signs. Promotional signs advertising a special community event such as a fair, farmer’s market, or parade may be permitted to be located over the public right-of-way or on public property. The size, location, and method of erection of such signs shall be subject to approval by the City Administrator or designee.
(Ord. 12-13 – Jan. 13 Supp.)
6. Construction Activity Signs. One temporary sign is permitted per each street frontage. Such temporary signs are subject to the following:
A. Such temporary signs are permitted in all districts on sites with an active or upcoming construction projects.
B. Such temporary signs may be installed only after approval of a site plan and/or building permit for such activity. Signs may be installed no more than two months prior to active construction. Signs must be removed once construction is complete or the permit expires, whichever occurs first.
C. Such temporary signs may be constructed as either freestanding signs or wall signs, and subject to the following:
(1) Signs are limited to 32 square feet in area.
(2) Freestanding signs are limited to eight feet in height.
(3) Freestanding signs must be located a minimum of five feet from any lot line.
(4) Signs may not be illuminated.
A permit is not required for construction activity signs.
(Ord. 2021-03 - Apr. 21 Supp.)