Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Creation. There is created in the city a Department of Economic Development.
(B) Control. The Department of Economic Development shall be controlled by the Economic Development Commission. (IC 36-7-12-4)
(C) Appointment of members; terms.
(1) The members of the Economic Development Commission shall be appointed by the Mayor. One of the members shall be selected by the Mayor, one shall be nominated by the County Council and one shall be nominated by the Common Council.
(2) The Economic Development Commissioners shall take office upon their appointment, and their terms run from February 1 after their original appointment, for a period of:
(a) Three years, if selected by the Mayor;
(b) Two years, if nominated by the Common Council; and
(c) One year, if nominated by the county Council.
(D) Selections and nominations; expiration of terms.
(1) The City Clerk shall promptly notify the executives and fiscal bodies required to make selections and nominations by this chapter. The officers required to make selections and nominations shall do so within 15 days after receiving that notice. Each selectee and nominee shall be appointed by the appropriate executive officer within ten days after he or she receives the nomination.
(2) At the expiration of the respective terms of each of the original Economic Development Commissioners, their respective successors shall be selected and nominated, before the expiration of the term, in the same manner as the original Commissioner, and each succeeding Commissioner shall serve for a term of four years. A Commissioner shall hold over after the expiration of his or her term until his successor is appointed and has qualified.
(1) If the Common Council or County Council fails to make a nomination within the time specified by I.C. 36-7-12-9, the Mayor may select and appoint a person without a nomination.
(2) If a person appointed as an Economic Development Commissioner fails to take the oath of office required by I.C. 36-7-12-11 within ten days after the notice of his or her appointment is mailed to him or her, or if any Commissioner, after qualifying, dies, resigns, vacates his or her office, or is removed from office, a new Commissioner shall be appointed to fill the vacancy in the same manner as the Commissioner in respect to whom the vacancy occurs was appointed. A Commissioner appointed under this division shall serve for the remainder of the vacated term.
(F) Oath of office. Before beginning his duties, each Economic Development Commissioner shall take and subscribe an oath of office in the usual form, to be indorsed upon the certificate of his appointment. The certificate shall be promptly filed with the City Clerk.
(G) Meetings; officers.
(1) The Economic Development Commission shall meet within 30 days after its original appointment, at a time and place designated by the Mayor, for the purpose of organization, and shall meet to reorganize in February of each succeeding year.
(2) At the meeting required by division (1) above, the Economic Development Commission shall elect one of its members as President, one as Vice-President, and one as Secretary. Each officer shall serve from the date of his or her election until January 31 after his or her election, and until his or her successor is elected and qualified.
(H) Bylaws; quorum; public records.
(1) The Economic Development Commission may adopt the bylaws, rules, and regulations that it considers necessary. Regular or special meetings shall be held at times and upon notice fixed by the Commission, either by resolution or in accordance with the bylaws, rules, and regulations adopted.
(2) A majority of the members of the Economic Development Commission constitutes a quorum.
(3) Actions of the Economic Development Commission must be approved by a majority of the members of the Commission.
(4) The records of the Economic Development Commission are public records.
(Ord. 1020, passed 6-11-74; Am. Ord. 53-12-18, passed 12-18-18)