Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Each dog and cat over the age of six (6) months which is kept in the city shall be sterilized and rendered incapable of reproducing by a licensed veterinarian, with the following exceptions as long as the requirements noted herein are met:
(1) A individual breeder's permit has been secured according to the process noted in this section;
(2) Current pets are receiving adequate care, shelter, and veterinary care as defined in this chapter;
(3) The animal's health or a special medical condition puts them at risk for complications due to surgery according to an authorized veterinarian;
(4) Owner is considered an approved breeder as defined in this chapter or has obtained the appropriate special use permit from the City of Noblesville Zoning Board; or
(5) Owner has not surrendered an animal(s) to the Humane Society for Hamilton County or allowed an animal to run at large.
(B) A individual breeder's permit shall be obtained by the following individuals:
(1) Any person who intentionally causes or accidentally allows the breeding of a dog or cat they own; and
(2) Any person owning or having custody of a dog or cat which is older than six (6) months of age, which has not been sterilized for any reason other than the exceptions noted herein.
(C) Such individual breeder's permit shall:
(1) Allow the nonsterllization of animals owned by the permittee for one 12-month period after the date of issuance;
(2) Allow the nonsterilization of animals owned by the permittee for the life of the pet with the issuance of a letter from an authorized veterinarian stating the animal's health or a special medical condition puts them at risk for complications due to surgery; and
(3) Require the holder of the permit to furnish the division of animal control with information on the birth of each litter of dogs and cats as may be required by the division to register the litter and be assigned a letter number for each litter.
(D) The holder of an individual breeder's permit shall:
(1) Transmit to the new owner or buyer the litter number of the animal acquired and the breeder's permit number in order that the new owner has assurance and proof that the animal was legally bred;
(2) Immunize all dogs and cats offered for sale, trade, or other compensation or for free give away against the most common contagious diseases; for dogs against canine distemper, hepatitis, and parvovirus and for cats against feline rhinotracheitis, calicivirus, and panleukopenia;
(3) Not offer a puppy or kitten under the age of eight (8) weeks for sale, trade or other compensation or for free giveaway; and
(4) Furnish a warrant of health for a period of not less than one week with the recommendation to have the animal examined by a licensed veterinarian for each animal sold, traded, or given away.
(E) Each individual breeder's permit shall be obtained from the Noblesville Police Department at no cost to the pet owner or approved breeder on an annual basis.
(F) Each holder of a valid individual breeder's permit shall register additional litters with the Noblesville Police Department. Each additional litter registration shall comply with the same requirements as the original breeder's permit. Failure to register each litter shall be considered a violation of this section.
(Ord. 09-02-21, passed 2-23-21)