Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) There is hereby created a fund entitled, “the Abandoned Vehicle Fund”, as required by I.C. 9-22-1-30.
(B) Upon receipt of any proceeds derived from the use of the city’s abandoned vehicle ordinance, such as the sale of abandoned vehicles or vehicle parts and fines recovered from the enforcement of the abandoned vehicle ordinance, the proceeds shall be deposited into the Abandoned Vehicle Fund.
(C) The costs incurred by the city agency administering the abandoned vehicle ordinance, such as the costs of removal, storage and disposal of the abandoned vehicle, shall be paid from the Abandoned Vehicle Fund.
(D) As required by I.C. 9-22-1-27, the city’s Common Council shall annually appropriate sufficient money to the fund to carry out the city’s abandoned vehicle ordinance.
(E) The balance remaining in the Abandoned Vehicle Fund at the end of any calendar year shall not revert to the city’s General Fund but shall remain within the Abandoned Vehicle Fund.
(F) The money within the Abandoned Vehicle Fund shall be used for all purposes allowed by I.C. 9-22-1 et seq., including but not limited to the following purposes:
(1) Removal of abandoned vehicles;
(2) Towing of abandoned vehicles;
(3) Storage of abandoned vehicles pending reclamation or public sale;
(4) All costs related to the disposal of the abandoned vehicle or vehicle parts including advertising of the sale, payment to an auctioneer, costs of the public auction, costs related to disposal at an automobile scrapyard or automotive salvage recycler;
(5) Notification of the Bureau of Motor Vehicles of the possession and towing of the abandoned vehicle and, if necessary, the disposal of the abandoned vehicle and title clearing related tasks;
(6) Photographing of the abandoned vehicle and preparing of reports concerning the vehicle;
(7) Costs incurred in dealing with a lien holder’s interest in the abandoned vehicle; and
(8) Payment of titling fees and certification assessed under I.C. 9-29-4 and I.C. 9-17.
(Ord. 16-5-12, passed 5-29-12)