Skip to code content (skip section selection)
For the purpose of this chapter, the following definitions shall apply unless the context clearly indicates or requires a different meaning.
"AGGRIEVED PERSON." Includes any person who (IC 22-9.5-2-2):
(1) Claims to have been injured by a discriminatory housing practice; or
(2) Believes that such person will be injured by a discriminatory housing practice that is about to occur.
"COMMISSION." (IC 22-9.5-2-3) The Indiana Civil Rights Commission or a local agency designated by an ordinance adopted under IC 22-9.5-4-1.
"COMPLAINANT." (IC 22-9.5-2-6) A person, including the Commission, who files a complaint under IC 22-9.5-6.
"DISCRIMINATORY HOUSING PRACTICE." An act that is unlawful under § 101.05 through 101.08 or IC 22-9.5-5-5.
(1) With respect to a person:
(a) A physical or mental impairment which substantially limits one or more of that person's major life activities,
(b) A record of having such an impairment,
(c) Being regarded as having such an impairment.
(2) The term "HANDICAP" shall not include current illegal use of or addiction to a controlled substance as defined in Section 802 of Title 21 of the United States Code, (IC 22-9.5-2-10(b)); nor does the term "HANDICAP" include an individual solely because that individual is a transvestite (IC 22-9.5-2-10(c)).
"DWELLING." Any building, structure, or part of a building or structure that is occupied as, or designed or intended for occupancy as, a residence by one or more families; or any vacant land which is offered for sale or lease for the construction or location of a building, structure, or part of a building or structure that is occupied as, or designed or intended for occupancy as a residence by one or more families (IC 22-9.5-2-8).
"FAMILIAL STATUS." One or more individuals (who have not attained the age of 18 years) being domiciled with:
(1) A parent or another person having legal custody of that individual or the written permission of that parent or other person.
(2) The protection afforded against discrimination on the basis of familial status shall apply to any person who is pregnant or is in the process of securing legal custody of any individual who has not attained the age of 18 years.
"FAMILY." A single individual (IC 22-9.5-2-9), with the status of such family being further defined in "FAMILIAL STATUS".
"PERSON." (IC 22-9.5-2-11) includes one or more individuals, corporations, limited liability companies, partnerships, associations, labor organizations, legal representatives, mutual companies, joint-stock companies, trusts, unincorporated organizations, trustees, trustees in cases under Title 11 of the United Stated Code, receivers, and fiduciaries.
"TO RENT." (IC 22-9.5-2-13) includes to lease, to sublease, to let and otherwise to grant for a consideration the right to occupy the premises owned by the occupant.
(Ord. 10-3-93, passed 4-14-93)