Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) All powers and duties of the city that are executive or administrative in nature shall be exercised or performed by the Mayor, another city officer, or a city department.
(B) An ordinance of the Council requiring an executive or administrative function to be performed may:
(1) Designate the department that is to perform that function; or
(2) Establish a new department or agency to perform that function.
(C) If an executive or administrative function is not assigned by a statute, ordinance, or resolution, the Mayor shall assign that function to the proper department or officer.
(D) The following city departments may be established by ordinance passed by the Council upon the recommendation of the Mayor:
(1) Finance or administration;
(3) Public works;
(4) Public safety;
(5) Parks and recreation;
(6) Human resources;
(7) Economic development; and
(8) Any other department considered necessary to efficiently perform the administrative functions required to fulfill the needs of the city's citizens. (I.C. 36-4-9-4)
(E) (1) The Common Council affirms its establishment, upon recommendation of the Mayor, the following executive departments for the City:
(a) Department of Finance and Accounting;
(b) Department of Law;
(c) Department of Engineering;
(d) Department of Human Resources;
(e) Department of Planning;
(f) Department of Parks and Recreation;
(g) Wastewater Utility;
(h) Street Department;
(i) Department of Information Technology;
(j) Maintenance Department;
(k) Department of Economic Development;
(l) Police Department; and
(m) Fire Department.
(2) Consistent with I.C. 36-4-9-4, the executive departments shall perform the administrative functions assigned by statute and ordinance.
(‘61 Code, § 5.l) (Ord 1479, passed - -83; Am. Ord. 53-12-18, passed 12-18-18)