Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Exemptions shall not be permitted within any “quiet zone” duly established by the Common Council or Board of Works when such zone is designed by appropriate signage.
(B) The following shall be exempted from the provisions of this subchapter:
(1) Sound emitted from sirens of authorized emergency vehicles;
(2) Farm tractors, garden tractors and similar home power tools when properly muffled, between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m.;
(3) Burglar alarms or other warning devices when properly installed on publicly or privately owned property; providing, the cause for such alarm warning device sound is investigated and turned off within a reasonable period of time;
(4) Otherwise lawful celebrations on Halloween and legal holidays;
(5) Permitted parades or public festivals, between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 12:00 midnight, Sunday through Thursday; and between 8:00 a.m. and 1:00 a.m., Friday through Saturday;
(6) Attendant noise connected with the actual performance of athletic or sporting events and practices related to them;
(7) The emission of sound for the purpose of alerting persons to the existence of an emergency or for the performance of emergency work;
(8) Sounds associated with normal conduction of a legally established non-transient business when such sounds are customary, incidental and within the normal range appropriate for such use; and
(9) In the case of motor vehicles, where the noise is the result of a defective or modified exhaust system, if the cause is repaired or otherwise remedied within seven calendar days.
(Prior Code, § 92.46) (Ord. G-96-11, passed 10-22-1996) Penalty, see § 92.999