Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) Every vehicle stopped or parked upon a roadway where there is an adjacent curb shall be stopped or parked with the right-hand wheels of the vehicle parallel with and not more than twelve inches from the right-hand curb, unless it is impossible to approach so close to the curb; in such case the stop shall be made as close to the curb as possible and only for the time necessary to discharge and receive passengers or to load or unload merchandise.
(b) (1) This subsection does not apply to streets or parts thereof where angle parking is lawfully permitted. However, no angle parking shall be permitted on a state route unless an unoccupied roadway width of not less than twenty-five feet is available for free-moving traffic.
(2) A. No angled parking space that is located on a state route within a municipal corporation is subject to elimination, irrespective of whether there is or is not at least twenty-five feet of unoccupied roadway width available for free-moving traffic at the location of that angled parking space, unless the municipal corporation approves of the elimination of the angled parking space.
B. Replacement, repainting or any other repair performed by or on behalf of the municipal corporation of the lines that indicate the angled parking space does not constitute an intent by the municipal corporation to eliminate the angled parking space.
(c) (1) A. Except as provided in subsection (c)(1)B. hereof, no vehicle shall be stopped or parked on a road or highway with the vehicle facing in a direction other than the direction of travel on that side of the road or highway.
B. The operator of a motorcycle may back the motorcycle into an angled parking space so that when the motorcycle is parked it is facing in a direction other than the direction of travel on the side of the road or highway.
(2) The operator of a motorcycle may back the motorcycle into a parking space that is located on the side of, and parallel to, a road or highway. The motorcycle may face any direction when so parked. Not more than two motorcycles at a time shall be parked in a parking space as described in subsection (c)(2) of this section irrespective of whether or not the space is metered.
(d) Notwithstanding any provision of this Code or any rule, air compressors, tractors, trucks, and other equipment, while being used in the construction, reconstruction, installation, repair, or removal of facilities near, on, over, or under a street, may stop, stand, or park where necessary in order to perform such work, provided a flag person is on duty or warning signs or lights are displayed as may be prescribed by the director of transportation or the local authorities.
(e) Special parking locations and privileges for persons with disabilities that limit or impair the ability to walk, also known as handicapped parking spaces or disability parking spaces shall be provided and designated by the Municipality and all agencies and instrumentalities thereof at all offices and facilities, where parking is provided, whether owned, rented or leased, and at all publicly owned parking garages. The locations shall be designated through the posting of an elevated sign, whether permanently affixed or movable, imprinted with the international symbol of access and shall be reasonably close to exits, entrances, elevators and ramps. All elevated signs posted in accordance with this subsection and Ohio R.C. 3781.111 (C) shall be mounted on a fixed or movable post, and the distance from the ground to the bottom edge of the sign shall measure not less than five feet. If a new sign or a replacement sign designating a special parking location is posted on or after October 14, 1999, there also shall be affixed upon the surface of that sign or affixed next to the designating sign a notice that states the fine applicable for the offense of parking a motor vehicle in the special designated parking location if the motor vehicle is not legally entitled to be parked in that location.
(f) (1) A. No person shall stop, stand or park any motor vehicle at special parking locations provided under subsection (e) hereof, or at special clearly marked parking locations provided in or on privately owned parking lots, parking garages, or other parking areas and designated in accordance with subsection (e) hereof, unless one of the following applies:
1. The motor vehicle is being operated by or for the transport of a person with a disability that limits or impairs the ability to walk and is displaying a valid removable windshield placard or special license plates;
2. The motor vehicle is being operated by or for the transport of a handicapped person and is displaying a parking card or special handicapped license plates.
B. Any motor vehicle that is parked in a special marked parking location in violation of subsection (f)(1)A. of this section may be towed or otherwise removed from the parking location by the Police Department. A motor vehicle that is so towed or removed shall not be released to its owner until the owner presents proof of ownership of the motor vehicle and pays all towing and storage fees normally imposed by the Municipality for towing and storing motor vehicles. If the motor vehicle is a leased vehicle, it shall not be released to the lessee until the lessee presents proof that that person is the lessee of the motor vehicle and pays all towing and storage fees normally imposed by the Municipality for towing and storing motor vehicles.
C. If a person is charged with a violation of subsection (f)(1)A. of this section, it is an affirmative defense to the charge that the person suffered an injury not more than seventy-two hours prior to the time the person was issued the ticket or citation and that, because of the injury, the person meets at least one of the criteria contained in Ohio R.C. 4503.44(A)(1).
(2) No person shall stop, stand or park any motor vehicle in an area that is commonly known as an access aisle, which area is marked by diagonal stripes and is located immediately adjacent to a special parking location provided under subsection (e) of this section or at a special clearly marked parking location provided in or on a privately owned parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area and designated in accordance with that subsection.
(g) When a motor vehicle is being operated by or for the transport of a person with a disability that limits or impairs the ability to walk and is displaying a removable windshield placard or a temporary removable windshield placard or special license plates, or when a motor vehicle is being operated by or for the transport of a handicapped person and is displaying a parking card or special handicapped license plates, the motor vehicle is permitted to park for a period of time double the legal parking period permitted by the Municipality, except where local ordinance, resolution, code or police rules provide otherwise or where the vehicle is parked in such a manner as to be clearly a traffic hazard or where a designated handicapped parking space otherwise provides for the parking duration through use of a clearly marked sign.
(h) No owner of an office, facility, or parking garage where special parking locations are required to be designated in accordance with subsection (e) of this section shall fail to properly mark the special parking locations in accordance with subsection (e) or fail to maintain the markings of special locations, including the erection and maintenance of the fixed or movable signs.
(i) Nothing in this section shall be construed to require a person or organization to apply for a removable windshield placard or special license plates if the parking card or special license places issued to the person or organization under prior law have not expired or been surrendered or revoked.
(j) As used in this section:
(1) "Handicapped person" means any person who has lost the use of one or both legs or one or both arms, who is blind, deaf, or so severely handicapped as to be unable to move without the aid of crutches or a wheelchair, or whose mobility is restricted by a permanent cardiovascular, pulmonary, or other handicapping condition.
(2) "Person with a disability that limits or impairs the ability to walk" has the same meaning as in Ohio R.C. 4503.44.
(3) "Special license plates" and "removable windshield placard" mean any license plates or removable windshield placard or temporary removable windshield placard issued under Ohio R.C. 4503.41 or 4503.44, and also mean any substantially similar license plates or removable windshield placard or temporary removable windshield placard issued by a state, district, country, or sovereignty.
(ORC 4511.69; Ord. 134-00. Passed 12-28-00.)