Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Specified: The city recorder shall be the registrar of burials for the city.
B. Powers And Duties:
1. Statement And Records Required: Before burying any dead body in any cemetery within the corporate limits of the city, or before disinterring for transportation beyond the corporate limits of the city the body of any person who has been buried therein, the relatives or other person having charge of the body shall be required to furnish in writing to the city recorder a statement of the death, which shall be recorded in a record kept for that purpose by the city recorder. Such statement, as well as the record, shall include the name of the person deceased, when and where born, if known, the date of death and the cause thereof, together with the name of the attending physician, if any, coroner or midwife, also the date of burial, as well as the name of the cemetery, with the initial letter of the plat, as well as the number of the block or lot where the person is buried, and if disinterred and transferred beyond the corporate limits of the city, the place of destination. (1999 R.O. § 4-1-2)
2. Payment Of Monies: The city recorder shall pay into the city treasury, all monies that come into his hands by virtue of his office, and make periodic reports of his doings to the mayor as the mayor shall require. (1999 R.O. § 4-1-3)
3. Charge Of Cemetery: The city recorder shall take charge and have the entire care, control and superintendence of the city cemetery, subject to the order and direction of the city council and shall collect all fees which are, or may hereafter be prescribed for his services, and pay the same into the city treasury as directed by the mayor, taking the receipt of the city treasurer therefor. He shall keep in proper repair the enclosure around the cemetery and prevent its being entered by cattle, or other loose animals, and, so far as practicable, prevent the destruction or defacing of any monument placed or erected therein. He shall have charge of a duplicate plat of the cemetery and shall, at the request of any person wishing to purchase, point out any of the lots or parts of lots, unoccupied, for sale; and upon the disposal of any lots, or parts thereof, he shall notify the mayor of the fact, whose duty it shall be, upon payment of the price thereof into the city treasury, to make and execute a deed to the purchaser. (1999 R.O. § 4-1-5; amd. 2008 Code)
4. Deeds Filed: When title to purchased lots is to be transferred or reverts to the city, the original deeds shall be filed with the city recorder, and before new deeds are issued covering the property, the original deed shall be canceled or quitclaim deed given and record so changed. (1999 R.O. § 4-1-5)
5. Records Or Conveyances: The city recorder shall keep in a book to be kept for that purpose all conveyances executed under the provisions of this chapter, stating the number of the lot and block conveyed, the date of such conveyance, the name of the person to whom conveyed, and the amount received for the same. (1999 R.O. § 4-1-6)