Skip to code content (skip section selection)
For the purposes of this chapter, the following definitions shall apply unless the context clearly indicates or requires a different meaning.
DISABILITY. A physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more of the major life activities of the individual, a record of such an impairment or being regarded as having such an impairment.
DISCRIMINATION. Any direct or indirect act or practice of exclusion, distinction, restriction, segregation, limitation, refusal, denial, or any other act or practice of differentiation or preference in the treatment of a person or persons because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, familial status, disability, sexual orientation or gender identify in the aiding, abetting, inciting, coercing or compelling thereof.
GENDER IDENTITY. A person’s gender-related identity, appearance or behavior, whether or not that gender-related identity, appearance or behavior is different from that traditionally associated with the person’s designated sex at birth.
PERSON. Any individual or corporation, firm, partnership, association, organization, any other group acting as a unit.
PLACE OF PUBLIC ACCOMMODATION. Any place which serves the public and requires a license or permit issued by the State of South Carolina, its agencies or the Town of Mount Pleasant to operate, including, but not limited to:
(1) Any inn, hotel, motel, or other establishment which provides lodging to transient guests, other than an establishment located within a building which contains not more than three bed and breakfast units and which is actually occupied by the proprietor of such establishment as his or her residence;
(2) Any restaurant, cafeteria, lunchroom, lunch counter, soda fountain, or other facility principally engaged in selling food for consumption on the premises, including, but not limited to, any such facility located on the premises of any retail establishment, or any gasoline station;
(3) Any hospital, clinic, or other medical facility which provides overnight accommodations;
(4) Any retail or wholesale establishment;
(5) Any motion picture house, theater, concert hall, billiard parlor, saloon, barroom, golf course, sports arena, stadium, or other place of amusement, exhibition, recreation, or entertainment; and
(6) Any establishment which is physically located within the premises of any establishment otherwise covered by this definition, or within the premises of which is physically located any such covered establishment, and which holds itself out as serving patrons of such covered establishment.
SEXUAL ORIENTATION. A person’s real or perceived heterosexuality, homosexuality or bisexuality.
(Ord. 18045, passed 10-9-18)