Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Fireworks and weapons.
(1) No person shall possess, discharge, or set off any fireworks, weapons as defined in § 132.20 of Chapter 132 of this code, or other explosive devices at town-owned parks, unless the same is allowed pursuant to a town-approved or sponsored event. Firearms are specifically not included under the term weapons for purposes of this division.*
(2) No person shall discharge or set off any firearm, unless the same is allowed pursuant to a town-approved special event.*
(3) This section does not apply to law enforcement officers in the discharge of their duties as law enforcement officers.
(4) *Note that the South Carolina Code of Laws regulates the transfer, ownership, possession, carrying and transportation of firearms.
(B) Solicitation. No person shall solicit contri- butions at town-owned parks without the express, written approval of the Town Administrator or his or her designee.
(C) Audio devices. No person shall play an audio device, such as a television set, radio, record or tape player or any like item, at such a volume as to disturb any person at a town-owned park, unless part of an approved special event pursuant to Chapter 97.
(D) Storage. No person shall store any goods, material, vehicle, or other property at town-owned parks without the consent of the town.
(E) Bands, concerts. No band or group of musicians shall perform in or upon town-owned parks, unless part of a town-sponsored event or an approved special event pursuant to Chapter 97, or if part or all of a particular facility at the MWP is rented and live music is allowed pursuant to the rental agreement. No person shall electronically amplify the sound of musical instruments at town-owned parks without an approved special event permit pursuant to Chapter 97.
(F) Treasure hunting. Metal detecting and/or digging at town-owned parks is prohibited.
(G) Alcoholic beverages. No person shall possess in an open container or consume any beer, wine, or alcoholic beverage at town-owned parks, except as follows:
(1) Part or all of a particular facility at the MWP is rented and alcoholic beverages are allowed pursuant to the rental agreement.
(2) A town-sponsored event that allows alcoholic beverages. An example would be the Blessing of the Fleet & Seafood Festival.
(3) A scheduled event at the MWP for which admission is charged and alcoholic beverages are allowed. An example would be dances on the pier.
(4) Alcoholic beverages purchased in the pier plaza may only be consumed on the pier or pier plaza.
(H) Animals. All animals will be on a leash at town-owned parks.
(I) Feeding birds. It shall be unlawful to feed birds (seagulls, pigeons and the like) at town-owned parks.
(J) Biking and the like. The use of bicycles, roller skates, skateboards at town-owned parks is permitted only upon the roadways, bikeways or other designated areas.
(K) Golf. No person shall play or practice golf at town-owned parks.
(L) Litter. No person shall discard any litter or trash at town-owned parks, except in designated receptacles.
(M) Public nudity. It shall be unlawful for any person to appear or travel on any beach, waterway, street, parking lot or public access way in a state of nudity. A person shall be found IN A STATE OF NUDITY when his or her clothing, or absence of clothing, uncovers or exposes to public view his or her genitals, pubic area, buttocks, or the nipple or any portion of the areola of the human female breast.
(N) Limitations on public disrobing. No person shall disrobe, undress, dress or change his or her clothes in public view on either public or private property, such that he or she may be found to be in a state of public nudity.
(O) Cooking. No person shall utilize grills or other cooking equipment at town-owned parks, unless part of a town-sponsored event or an approved special event pursuant to Chapter 97, or if part or all of a particular facility at the MWP is rented and cooking is allowed pursuant to the rental agreement.
(P) Flying objects. No person shall operate a drone or any other remotely controlled flying object; fly a kite; or release helium balloons, flying lanterns or any other flying object at the MWP.
(Q) Camping. No person shall camp or spend the night at any town-owned park.
(R) Swimming. No person shall swim or wade from the shoreline, in water features not specifically designed for such use, including the War Memorial fountain at the MWP, or from the pier or dock structures at any town-owned park.
(S) Motorized vehicles. No motorized vehicles are to be driven on the piers, docks or sidewalks of any town-owned park, with the exception of vehicles owned or authorized by the town or other park staff, or as part of an event permit approved by the Town Administrator or his or her designee.
(T) Exercise groups. Exercise groups must be unobtrusive and inconspicuous, and must not:
(1) Impede public use of the park.
(2) Use sidewalks as running tracks.
(3) Use audio devices, signage or other equipment.
(U) Conducting business. Pursuant § 110.22(B), conducting business on public property is not permitted. Exceptions at town parks are allowed only when business is being conducted during a town-sponsored event or an approved special event pursuant to Chapter 97, or if part or all of a particular facility at the MWP is rented and conducting business is allowed pursuant to the rental agreement.
(Ord. 09034, passed 7-14-09; Am. Ord. 11014, passed 3-8-11; Am. Ord. 15027, passed 4-14-15) Penalty, see § 141.99