Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Prohibition. It shall be unlawful for any person to keep, maintain, or have in his or her possession or control within the town any poisonous reptile or any other dangerous or carnivorous wild animal or reptile, any vicious or dangerous domesticated animal or any other animal or reptile of wild, vicious, or dangerous propensities.
(B) Classification. It shall be unlawful for any person to keep, maintain, or have in his or her possession or control within the town any of the following animals:
(1) All poisonous animals including rear- fang snakes.
(2) Apes. Chimpanzees; gibbons; gorillas; orangutans; and siamangs.
(7) Constrictor snakes, six feet in length or more.
(9) Crocodilians, 30 inches in length or more.
(10) Deer (includes all, for example, white- tailed deer, elk, antelope and moose).
(12) Gamecocks and other fighting birds.
(19) Monkeys, old world.
(21) Piranha fish.
(22) Pumas (also known as cougars, mountain lions and panthers).
(26) Snow leopards.
(C) Exceptions. The provisions of divisions (A) and (B) in this section shall not apply to menageries, zoological gardens, circuses, and recognized, accredited, and permitted public organizations or private nonprofit organizations established for educational purposes, if:
(1) Their location conforms to the provisions of the zoning code of the town.
(2) All animals and animal quarter are kept in a clean and sanitary condition and so maintained as to eliminate objectionable odors.
(3) Animals are maintained in quarters so constructed as to prevent their escape.
(4) No person lives or resides within 200 feet of the quarters in which the animal are kept.
('81 Code, § 90.12) (Ord. 93050, passed 10-12-93) Penalty, see § 10.99