Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) No person shall mistreat an animal in any way. It is unlawful for any person to inflict unnecessary or needless cruelty, torture, abuse or cruelly beat, strike or abuse any animal, or by an act or omission or neglect cause or inflict any unnecessary or unjustifiable pain, suffering, injury, or death to any animal whether such animal belongs to such person or to another, except that reasonable force may be employed to drive away vicious or trespassing animals. Keeping an animal in an unhealthy environment or under unhealthy conditions as deemed such by the Animal Control Officer shall constitute mistreatment and unlawful hereunder. Any unwanted animals should be delivered to the humane society for proper disposal.
(B) It shall also be unlawful for any person in charge of any animal to fail, refuse or neglect to provide such animal with sufficient food, potable water, shade or proper and healthy shelter and protection, veterinary care, or to cruelly or unnecessarily expose any such animal in hot, stormy, cold, or inclement weather, or to carry any such animal in or upon any vehicle in a cruel or inhumane manner.
(C) No person shall restrain a dog by tethering the dog:
(1) Unattended between the hours of 10 p.m. and 6:00 a.m.;
(2) Unattended by a tether less than ten feet in length or less than four times the length of the dog's body from tip of the nose to the base of the tail, whichever is greater;
(3) To a pulley, running line or trolley system that is less than 15 feet in length and/or more than seven feet above ground;
(4) By a tether the length of which allows the dog to cross the property line of the property on which it is tethered;
(5) Using a logging chain, tow chain, or other tether that weighs more than one-eighth of the dog's body weight or which causes injury to the dog;
(6) By attaching a tether that does not have workable swivels on both ends to prevent twisting and tangling;
(7) By attaching the tether to the dog by a collar that is of a material not designed as a dog collar, that is ill-fitting, or by means of a choke, pinch, or prong collar; or
(8) In an area likely to cause injury or pain to the dog because of entanglement or because of surrounding structures.
(D) No person shall leave a dog outside unattended during extreme weather.
(E) No person shall keep animals in confinement that is too small either for the animal's size or for the number of animals.
(F) No person shall leave or confine an animal in any unattended motor vehicle under such conditions that would endanger the health or well-being of the animal due to heat, cold, lack of adequate ventilation, lack of food and water, or any other circumstance that could reasonably be expected to cause suffering, disability, or death to the animal. Partially open windows are not considered adequate ventilation.
('81 Code, § 90.06) (Ord. 93050, passed 10-12-93; Am. Ord. 20007, passed 3-11-20) Penalty, see § 10.99