Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Pursuant to Mount Pleasant Ordinance Nos. 08027 and 09028, and Charleston County Council Ordinance Nos. 1561 and 1605, certain authority to conduct municipal elections was transferred to, and accepted by, the Charleston County Council and the Charleston County Board of Elections and Voter Registration.
(B) The Charleston County Board of Elections and Voter Registration shall have the following authority and responsibilities with respect to all Mount Pleasant regular and special elections:
(1) Publishing proper notices of elections.
(2) Insuring the provision of proper books for registration.
(3) Preparing and distributing ballots and election materials.
(4) Preparing and staffing an absentee ballot precinct.
(5) Appointing and training poll managers.
(6) Providing voting machines.
(7) Joint supervision, along with the Mount Pleasant Election Commission, of the polls on election day. Ultimate decisions and final authority in this regard shall remain with the Mount Pleasant Election Commission.
(8) Tabulating all election votes.
(9) Certifying election results to the Mount Pleasant Election Commission.
(10) Conducting all Mount Pleasant municipal elections, special and general, pursuant to the requirements of the South Carolina Code of Laws.
(11) Review of and decisions on challenges from candidates.
(12) Review of and decisions on challenged ballots.
(13) Protest filed or litigation commenced, in connection with the conduct of a municipal election, shall be heard by the Charleston County Board of Elections and Voter Registration and defended by its attorney, with the town being responsible for all fees, costs and expenses incurred in such protest or litigation.
(14) Supervision of the polls on election day.
(15) Certification of results to the Mount Pleasant Town Council.
(16) Statements of candidacies, and fees therewith, shall be filed with the Charleston County Board of Elections and Voter Registration.
(17) Any and all other authority relative to conducting a municipal election that is not specifically excluded hereinbelow.
(C) The following specific authority is maintained by the Mount Pleasant Election Commission and is not granted to the Charleston County Board of Elections and Voter Registration:
(1) Authority to call special elections and to set the date of same pursuant to the requirements of the South Carolina Code of Laws, if applicable, in addition to drafting and proposing referendum questions to the voters.
(2) Authority to cancel/revoke this transfer of authority by ordinance, at anytime, shall remain with the Town Council.
(3) Expenses for municipal elections will be borne by the town and, as such, the county will be reimbursed for any such expenses incurred.
(Ord. 08027, passed 6-11-08; Am. Ord. 09014, passed 4-14-09; Am. Ord. 09064, passed 10-13-09)