Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Notwithstanding the other provisions of this chapter, the cost of abating a nuisance shall be waived for low income and elderly persons, if upon application it appears to the building department that the conditions set forth in this section are met.
B. To be eligible for waiver of nuisance abatement costs a person must be classified as "low income", as defined by the building department, or
C. Be more than sixty five (65) years of age, and
1. A person living alone, whose total income for the preceding calendar year did not exceed one and one-half (11/2) times the maximum amount a social security recipient at age sixty five (65) may have earned in that year without having any benefits withheld; or
2. The head of a household which household received a total income for the preceding calendar year that did not exceed two and one-quarter (21/4) times the maximum amount a social security recipient at age sixty five (65) may have earned in that year without having any benefits withheld.
D. Additionally, all persons wishing to qualify for waiver of nuisance abatement costs must:
1. Furnish proof of the age and/or income requirements as set forth above in the manner and form designated by the building department;
2. Must own, or be in the process of purchasing the property from which the nuisance is abated; and
3. Be living on the property from which the nuisance is abated.
E. The removal of the nuisance in question must have been required by the building department and the person requesting the waiver of costs must have been officially notified by the building department to remove the nuisance.
F. Applications for waiver of nuisance abatement costs shall be filed with the building department, on forms supplied by the city, within ten (10) days after receipt of a notice to remove a nuisance or a work order notice unless the building department extends the time for good cause shown. All information required to be given on such form shall be supplied and verified by the applicant.
G. The maximum amount that may be waived under this section for any one parcel of real property or any one person shall be five hundred dollars ($500.00) per calendar year.
H. No overhead charge or civil penalty shall be imposed for any real property for which a waiver, pursuant to this section, shall have been approved. (Ord. 1343, 7-23-2001)