A.   Should any public nuisance not be abated at the expiration of time stated in the notice/order or within such additional time as the building department or city council may grant, the building department shall have the authority to enter upon the property and abate the public nuisance found thereon. In abating such nuisance, the building department may go to whatever extent may be necessary to complete the abatement of the public nuisance and should it be practicable to salvage any material derived in the aforesaid abatement, the building department may sell the salvaged material at private or public sale at the best price obtainable and shall keep an accounting of the proceeds thereof.
   B.   The proceeds, if any, obtained from the sale of any material salvaged as a result of an abatement of a public nuisance by the building department shall be deposited in a special fund of the city and any deficit between the amount so received and the cost of the abatement may be levied as an assessment against the property in question by the city council and collected as any other assessment by the city; however, any other alternative collection method may be utilized by the city to recoup the deficit. Should the proceeds of the sale of such salvaged material exceed the cost of abatement, the surplus, if any, shall be paid to the owner of the property from which the public nuisance was abated when a proper claim to the excess is established.
   C.   In abating a public nuisance, the building department may call upon any of the city departments or divisions for whatever assistance shall be deemed necessary or may by private contract cause the abatement of the public nuisance.
   D.   The building department shall, after completing the removal and abatement, file a statement of costs with the city clerk. (Ord. 1343, 7-23-2001)