Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Authority To Impound; Records: The city shall designate such persons as the city deems necessary to apprehend any dog, cat, or other animal found running at large contrary to the provisions of this chapter and to impound such dog, cat, or other animal in the city pound, if one is maintained, or any other suitable place for the impounding of animals as may be directed by the city. Licensed animals shall be separated from unlicensed animals. A complete registry shall be made upon impounding any dog, cat, or other animal including, with relation to the dog, cat, or other animal entering:
1. Its description by species, breed, sex, approximate age, and other distinguishing traits.
2. The location at which it was seized.
3. The date of its seizure.
4. The name and address of the person from whom any dog, cat, or other animal three (3) months of age or over was received.
5. The name and address of the person to whom any dog, cat, or other animal three (3) months of age or older was transferred.
6. Whether the dog, cat, or other animal is licensed for the current year.
7. If the dog, cat, or other animal is licensed, the name and address of its owner and the number of its tag.
B. Notice To Owner And Redemption: Not later than two (2) days after the impounding of any dog, cat, or other animal, the city shall attempt to notify the owner, if the owner is known to the city.
C. Impound And Redemption Fees:
1. The owner of any animal so impounded may reclaim such animal upon payment of an impound fee as established by the city's fee schedule for the first impound each year, a fee as established by the city's fee schedule for the second impound, a fee as established by the city's fee schedule for the third impound, and increasing thereafter a fee as established by the city's fee schedule for each additional impound.
2. Additional charges for maintenance and keeping of said dog or cat, giving proper notice, and the cost of any needed rabies inoculation shall be assessed in addition to the license fee and impound fee.
3. The owner of any dog or cat six (6) months of age or older impounded by the city which is not licensed for the current year or which has not been spayed or neutered shall be assessed an impound fee as established by the city's fee schedule in addition to the fees hereinbefore prescribed.
4. If the owner disputes the fees assessed or prescribed, the owner shall pay the fees and may appeal any disputed fees to conciliation court in Clay County for a refund.
D. Disposition Of Unclaimed Or Infected Dogs, Cats, And Other Animals: All animals shall be impounded for a period of at least five (5) regular business days. At the end of the five (5) day period, all animals, which remain unredeemed, must be made available to any registered, recorded, licensed, animal rescue organization. At the end of the five (5) day period, if no requests for animals have been filed with the city by any registered, recorded, licensed, animal rescue organization, all animals, which remain unredeemed, may be destroyed in the discretion of the city. Notwithstanding any provisions within this section, any animal which appears to be suffering from rabies or affected with hydrophobia, mange or other infectious or dangerous disease, as shall be determined by a qualified veterinarian, shall not be released but may be forthwith destroyed. (Ord. 2008-23, 11-24-2008)