Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) By December 10, 2014, the County Executive must establish, by Method 1 Regulation, a Clean Energy Plan that includes a specific amount of on-site clean energy that must be installed on any new or existing County facility. This Plan must include:
(1) a clean energy portfolio target for total clean energy to be installed on County facilities, which must exceed 1 kilowatt per 1,000 square feet of facilities anticipated to be added to the County’s portfolio as documented in the Capital Improvement Program;
(2) a process for vetting any new facility for potential renewable energy installation during the design phase, including key criteria for evaluating opportunities for solar energy;
(3) a plan to ensure that appropriate facilities are solar ready, to the extent possible;
(4) criteria for responsible site selection to balance the County’s renewable energy goals with other environmental objectives;
(5) a process to coordinate with County agencies on any new facility built using at least 30% County funds; and
(6) required funding and staffing to achieve the target.
(b) The County may install a clean energy system in an alternate location in the County to meet this requirement, including:
(1) a vacant property;
(2) a land swap or lease agreement; or
(3) any other property or facility where the County has a contractual, budgetary, or other interest.
(c) The Executive must recommend to the Council whether funds to support solar energy should be incorporated in a energy specific capital improvement budget, utility Non Departmental Account, or other mechanism to overcome any funding gap to meet the renewable energy target. (2014 L.M.C., ch. 16, § 1; 2016 L.M.C., ch. 7, §1.)