Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) An item designated as a healthy food choice must contain:
(1) no more than 200 calories per package;
(2) less than 35% of total calories from fat, except for foods containing 100% nuts or seeds with no added fats;
(3) less than 10% of calories from saturated fat; and
(4) no more than 35% of calories from total sugars, except for 1%, 2%, or non-fat dairy products, non-dairy milk products, fruits, and vegetables.
(b) At least one healthy food choice offered in a vending machine must meet the Food and Drug Administration’s definition of “low sodium”.
(c) Except as provided in paragraph (d), an item designated as a healthy beverage choice must contain fewer than 40 calories per serving.
(d) The following beverages may also be designated as a healthy beverage choice:
(1) fat-free or 1% low fat dairy milk;
(2) calcium or vitamin D fortified soy milk with less than 200 calories per container;
(3) a container with 12 ounces or less of:
(A) 100% fruit juice;
(B) vegetable juice that contains less than 230 milligrams of sodium per serving; or