Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) As used in this section, TRAFFIC CONTROL DEVICE means any sign, traffic control signal or other device conforming to and placed or erected in accordance with the manual adopted under R.C. § 4511.09 by authority of a public body or official having jurisdiction, for the purpose of regulating, warning or guiding traffic, including signs denoting the names of streets and highways, but does not mean any pavement marking.
(B) No individual shall buy or otherwise possess, or sell, a traffic control device, except when one of the following applies:
(1) In the course of the individual's employment by the state or a local authority for the express or implied purpose of manufacturing, providing, erecting, moving or removing such a traffic control device;
(2) In the course of the individual's employment by any manufacturer of traffic control devices other than a state or local authority;
(3) For the purpose of demonstrating the design and function of a traffic control device to state or local officials;
(4) When the traffic control device has been purchased from the state or a local authority at a sale of property that is no longer needed or is unfit for use; or
(5) When the traffic control device has been properly purchased from a manufacturer for use on private property and the person possessing the device has a sales receipt for the device or other acknowledgment of sale issued by the manufacturer.
(C) This section does not preclude, and shall not be construed as precluding, prosecution for theft in violation of R.C. § 2913.02, or a substantially equivalent municipal ordinance, or for receiving stolen property in violation of R.C. § 2913.51, or a substantially equivalent municipal ordinance.
(D) Whoever violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the third degree.
(R.C. § 4511.18)