Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A planning agency known as the Technical Review Committee (TRC) is hereby established pursuant to G.S. § 160A-361.
(A) Membership. The Technical Review Committee is composed of multiple city staff departments working together to render decisions on applications as a single decision-making body. The city staff departments with review and decision-making responsibilities under this ordinance include, but are not necessarily limited to, the: Planning, Engineering, Building Standards, Fire, Police, Energy Services, and Water Resources Departments. Other city departments or outside agencies shall serve on the TRC on an as-needed basis, depending on the nature, size and complexity of the development project to be reviewed, at the discretion of the Chair of the TRC or other TRC members. TRC members shall be appointed by and serve at the pleasure of their respective department heads.
(B) Officers. The City Manager shall designate the Chair of the Technical Review Committee.
(C) Powers and duties. The Technical Review Committee shall have the following powers and duties:
(1) To provide for a continuing, coordinated, and comprehensive review of the technical aspects of city ordinances/Standard Detail Manual and for the approval of certain technical aspects of development proposals;
(2) To review technical aspects of development occurring within the city as specified by this ordinance;
(3) To review and approve new or revised plans including: subdivisions; planned developments; office, commercial, and industrial developments; and any other proposals for development specified by this ordinance;
(4) To recommend to the Planning Board and City Council the closing of streets, alleys, easements, and other rights-of-way;
(5) To perform any other related duties that the City Council may direct; and
(6) To exercise other powers and authority provided to it by the City Council, this ordinance, or state law.
(D) Applicability. All proposed developments or land disturbing activities that require a building or zoning permit are subject to review by the TRC and shall be at the Land Use Administrator's discretion if the project is to be reviewed by the TRC. All proposed developments or land disturbing activities that require an erosion control permit (any development that disturbs more than 12,000 square feet) shall be reviewed and approved by the Committee prior to permit approval. In addition, all annexations and major subdivisions shall be reviewed by the TRC.
(E) Recommendations. The TRC will forward a formal recommendation for all petitions that require final approval from City Council.
(F) Procedures. The Technical Review Committee shall meet every Wednesday of every month. Additional meetings may be held at the discretion of the Chairman or his or her designee. The deadline for applicants to submit proposals shall be twelve (12) days prior at 12:00 p.m. (noon) for standard (non conditional rezoning) review. The deadline for conditional rezoning review shall be two-weeks (14 days) prior at 12:00 p.m. (noon) and shall be subject to two (2) reviews.
(G) Attendance. Each department shall designate at least one staff person who is qualified to discuss each item on the agenda.
(H) Fast track. Projects may be fast tracked or approved by a vote of TRC at a regular or special meeting or by other electronic means.
(Ord. O-2006-16, passed 6-6-06; Am. Ord. O-2013-27, passed 9-3-13)