Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Parabolic or dish-type antennas located outside of the business or residence shall meet the following requirements:
(1) Maximum number per business lot or residence lot shall be one. Businesses selling these discs shall be allowed a maximum of three and only one of these shall be allowed in front of the building.
(2) The parabolic or dish-type antenna shall be located in the rear yard, except that when the main building is on a corner lot, the parabolic or dish-type antenna cannot be closer to the adjoining side street than the main building is permitted to be located.
(3) (a) The parabolic or dish-type antenna shall be placed in the rear yard except that if a usable satellite signal cannot be obtained from the rear yard, the antenna may be located on the side yard of the property, subject to the approval of the Zoning Administrator and subject to the other requirements of this section. Roof mounted dishes will be located on the rear portion of the roof.
(b) In the event that a usable satellite signal cannot be obtained from the rear or side yard of the property, such antenna may be placed on the roof of a structure subject to the approval of the Zoning Administrator and subject to the other requirements of this section.
(4) Screening shall be as deemed necessary by the Zoning Administrator for commercial installations.
(5) All parts of the parabolic or dish-type antenna structure must be a minimum of five feet from all property lines of the lot.
(6) The parabolic or dish-type antenna shall be mounted on a steel pipe support embedded in a concrete foundation, and the parabolic or dish-type antenna when turned perpendicular to the ground, together with the base, shall not extend more than 15 feet above the ground. In the event that a usable signal cannot be obtained at a height of 15 feet, then the pole may be raised to the minimum height necessary to obtain a clear signal for the installation. The main diameter of the parabolic or dish-type antenna shall not exceed 11 feet.
(7) The base assembly shall be adequately anchored to the steel pipe support so as not to constitute a hazard in winds of 80 miles per hour velocity. Structural design for the parabolic or dish-type antenna base assembly, steel pipe support and concrete foundation shall conform to the applicable provisions in Article X and Article XII of the BOCA Basic Building Code. All plans, computations and specifications required for such design work shall be prepared by an architect or engineer, or the structural design shall be warranted by the manufacturer or installer, and shall be reviewed and approved by the Village Engineer.
(8) All petitions for relief from the provisions of this section shall be heard by the Zoning Board of Appeals and approved by the Village Board.
(9) Observance of safe distances between the parabolic or dish-type antenna, appendages thereto, and public utility wires in accordance with public utility requirements shall be mandatory. Polar mount and drive motor systems shall conform to the BOCA Electric Code requirements in existence at the time of application for a permit.
(10) A zoning occupancy permit shall be required prior to erection of any such parabolic or dish- type antenna.
(11) No parabolic or dish-type antenna shall be roof-mounted, unless the dish is four feet or less in diameter and is mounted on the rear portion of the roof.
(12) No parabolic or dish-type antenna shall be used or serve as a sign for the purpose of advertisement by a business or commercial unit.
(B) Nuisance and injunction. Any violation of this section is hereby declared to be a nuisance. In addition to any other relief provided by this chapter, the Village Attorney may apply to a court of competent jurisdiction for an injunction to prohibit the continuation of any violation of this section. Such application for relief may include seeking a temporary restraining order, temporary injunction and permanent injunction.
(C) This section shall not apply to any existing parabolic or dish-type antennae which have been installed prior to the effective date of this section.
(Ord. 491, passed 6-16-86)