Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Registration Required; Application; Bond, Insurance And Fee: Any contractor applying for a building permit must be registered with the village. Applications for registration shall be submitted to the inspection department on forms provided by said department along with the following:
1. A continuous surety bond made out to the village of Milan on a form provided by the village in the amount of ten thousand dollars ($10,000.00). A thirty (30) day notification must be provided to the inspection department before this bond may be canceled.
2. Proof of public liability and property damage insurance in the minimum amounts as follows: One hundred thousand dollars ($100,000.00) for each occurrence of property damage and three hundred thousand dollars ($300,000.00) for each occurrence of personal injury or bodily harm. The village shall be named as a coinsured or as the certificate holder and shall be provided a thirty (30) day notice prior to cancellation.
3. Proof of workers' compensation insurance in the form of either a certificate of insurance or certificate of approval as a self- insurer issued by the Illinois industrial commission.
4. An annual fee of seventy five dollars ($75.00).
B. Term Of Registration; Nontransferability: The registration shall be in effect from January 1 through December 31 of each calendar year and is nontransferable.
C. Performance Of Work:
1. All work performed under permits issued by the village must be conducted by employees of the permit holder covered under the insurance listed in this section or by contractors registered in the village.
2. Subcontractors operating under the permit obtained by the general contractor must also be registered with the village. Subcontractors must meet all the above requirements of this section with the exception of subsection A1 of this section. Work performed by these subcontractors will be subject to bonding of the general contractor unless the subcontractor also has a bond conforming to subsection A1 of this section.
D. Violations: Any violations of the requirements of registration or failure to promptly repair work installed in violation of village ordinances and/or Illinois Compiled Statutes, with amendments, may result in suspension or revocation of the registration at the discretion of the building official. The registered contractor will be informed in writing by the building official of any violations of the ordinances or statutes or provisions of the registration, and he/she will be given an appropriate time frame to make the required corrections. The notice is to be sent by certified mail, return receipt requested. The contractor has the right to appeal the decision of the building official to the board of appeals. This appeal must be in writing and presented to the building official not more than ten (10) days after the notice of violation was mailed.
E. Exemptions: The provisions of this section shall not apply to the owners of single-family residential property who are actually engaged in the performance of the work. (Ord. 1570, 9-17-2012)