Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) Content. Whenever the Housing Officer determines that there is violation of the provisions of this Maintenance Code, he may give notice of such violation to the person or persons responsible therefor and order compliance, as hereinafter provided. Such Notice and Order shall:
(1) Be in writing;
(2) Include a description of the real estate sufficient for identification;
(3) Include a statement of the reason or reasons why it is being issued;
(4) Include a correction order allowing a reasonable time for the repairs and improvements required to bring the property into compliance with the provisions of this Maintenance Code; and
(5) State the right of the violator to file an appeal of the Notice of Violation with the Planning Commission within twenty (20) days of the date the Notice is given.
(b) Service. A Notice of Violation shall be deemed to be properly served if one or more of the following methods are used:
(1) By personal delivery to the owner or occupant of the premises or by leaving the Notice at the premises with a person of suitable age and discretion; or
(2) By certified mail deposited in the United States Post Office addressed to the person or persons responsible at his/their last known address, with return receipt requested. If a certified mail envelope is returned with endorsement showing that the envelope is unclaimed, then service shall be sent by ordinary mail and the mailing shall be evidenced by a certificate of mailing which shall be filed the Housing Officer. Service shall be deemed completed when the fact of mailing is entered of record, provided that the ordinary mail envelope is not returned by the postal authorities with an endorsement showing failure of delivery; or
(3) By posting a copy of the Notice of Violation in a conspicuous place on the premises found in violation and publishing a legal notice in a newspaper of general circulation in the Municipality. The legal notice shall identify the owners of the property, the last address, if known, of the owners, the parcel identification, the location and nature of the violation.
(Ord. 08-117. Passed 9-4-08.)