Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Office created. There is hereby created the Office of Water and Sewer Superintendent, an executive office of the village. The Water and Sewer Superintendent shall be appointed by the Mayor, with the advice and consent of the Board of Trustees, annually, at the first regular meeting in May of each year, or as soon thereafter as convenient, and shall hold the office for the time period appointed, unless sooner removed for cause.
(B) Responsibilities. The Water and Sewer Superintendent shall be responsible for the overall operations, inventory, purchasing and maintenance of the Water and Sewer Department. The Water and Sewer Superintendent shall be responsible for preparing an annual budget request for the Water and Sewer Department. The Water and Sewer Superintendent shall manage and supervise all employees assigned to the Water and Sewer Department and the employees shall perform their duties subject to the orders and under the supervision of the Water and Sewer Superintendent.
(C) Duties. It shall be the duty of the Water and Sewer Superintendent:
(1) To provide general supervision and direction of maintenance for the water and sewer, as well as other areas related to the Water and Sewer Department;
(2) To be a working superintendent and work along with the crew;
(3) To plan daily work schedules and assign employees daily tasks;
(4) To provide the Mayor with a weekly completed work schedule, as well as a schedule for the coming week;
(5) To determine equipment and materials to be used on job sites;
(6) To monitor standards for construction and repair projects to ensure they stay within budget and meet village standards;
(7) To conduct visual quality inspection of employees’ work;
(8) To investigate citizens’ complaints and determine corrective action to be taken;
(9) To maintain records on inventory, purchasing, equipment, overtime, vacations, sick leave and compensatory time;
(10) To prepare a budget request for the Water and Sewer Department;
(11) To train employees in desired maintenance techniques, preventive maintenance procedures and orientation to equipment and vehicles and the use of safety equipment;
(12) To attend all scheduled Village Board meetings and any other meeting pertaining to the Water and Sewer Department; and
(13) To perform other duties as assigned.
(D) Qualifications. The Water and Sewer Superintendent shall have knowledge of tools, materials, methods, equipment, practices, construction and maintenance activities of the Water and Sewer Department; knowledge of administrative principles and practices an supervisory methods and techniques; and knowledge of the code of ordinances. Also required is the ability to supervise and train moderate-size group of diverse workers; ability to organize and direct emergency operations; ability to read and understand engineering plans and sketches; and ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with government officials, fellow employees and the general public. Strong oral and written communication skills are required, as well as graduation from a general or technical high school or equivalent. The position requires five years of progressively responsible work in the area of water and sewer activities, including three years of supervisory experience. Continuing education in the field of water and sewer operations is required. The position requires a valid driver’s license with the appropriate classification from the state. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience will be considered.
(E) Property custodian. The Water and Sewer Superintendent shall be the custodian of all property of the Water and Sewer Department and shall be responsible for its care, custody, maintenance and protection.
(F) Removal. The Water and Sewer Superintendent may be removed from office at any time for failure to execute the duties of his or her office faithfully and accurately and for any violation of the provisions of this section or of any ordinances of the village or the statutes of the state pertaining to the office.
(G) Compensation. The Water and Sewer Superintendent shall receive the salary fixed by the Village Board in the annual appropriation ordinance or by other resolution or ordinance.
(Ord. 2001-28, passed 11-7-01)