Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) (1) Subject to the exceptions set out in division (B) below, no person shall drive or operate a motor vehicle in excess of a registered weight of eight tons on the city streets designated in this section by the City Council.
(2) The following streets and portions of streets are established as restricted portions of streets and avenues for the use, movement or through travel thereon of all types of motor vehicles, however operated, having a total weight of the vehicle and load in excess of 16,000 pounds or eight tons as authorized under I.C.A. § 321.473:
(a) East Boone Street from S. 14th Avenue to S. 17th Avenue;
(b) East Nevada Street between S. 12th Avenue and S. 18th Avenue;
(c) Norris Place;
(d) In the area north of Marion Street and east of N. 3rd Avenue;
(e) South 15th Avenue from E. Linn Street south to Norris Place;
(f) South 16th Avenue from E. Linn Street to East Nevada Street;
(g) South 17th Avenue from E. Linn Street south to Norris Place;
(h) North 12th Avenue between Marion Street and State Street; and
(i) W. Main Street between 9th Street and 3rd Avenue.
(3) This section shall not be construed so as to allow parking of trucks in residential areas if doing so would be contrary to any city ordinance.
(4) For the purposes of this section, the term THROUGH TRAFFIC is defined as operation of a motor vehicle in excess of a registered weight of eight tons on the streets designated pursuant to this division (A) for purposes other than those designated in division (B) below.
(2013 Code, § 25-16)
(B) Division (A)(4) above shall not apply to the following:
(1) Garbage trucks;
(2) Utility trucks;
(3) Buses, including municipal and public buses;
(4) Municipal fire apparatus or road maintenance equipment owned or leased by the city, county or state;
(5) Delivery or moving trucks;
(6) Trucks journeying to and from a truck terminal; and/or
(7) Implements of husbandry, as defined in I.C.A. § 321.1(16), and implements of husbandry loaded on hauling units for transporting the implements to locations for purposes of repair.
(2013 Code, § 25-17)
(C) Placement of signs under division (A) above. The Director of Public Works/City Engineer shall cause to be placed and maintained appropriate signs designating such restricted portions of streets or avenues and the weight limit thereon so as to warn the driver or operator of any vehicle, with load, weighing in excess of the weight prohibited in division (A) above, from using such restricted portions of streets or avenues.
(2013 Code, § 25-18)
(Ord. 14365, passed 12-23-1991; Ord. 14367, passed 12-23-1991; Ord. 14408, passed 12-28-1992; Ord. 14414, passed 2-8-1993) Penalty, see § 73.999