(a) No person operating a vehicle shall stop, stand, or park, except in compliance with law or the directions of a police officer or traffic control device, in any of the following places:
(1) On a sidewalk;
(2) In front of a public or private driveway;
(3) Within an intersection;
(4) Within fifteen (15) feet of a fire hydrant;
(5) On a crosswalk;
(6) Within twenty (20) feet of a crosswalk at an intersection;
(7) Within thirty (30) feet upon the approach to any flashing beacon, stop sign, or traffic control signal located at the side of a roadway;
(8) Between a safety zone and the adjacent curb or within thirty (30) feet of points on the curb immediately opposite the ends of a safety zone, unless signs or markings indicate a different length;
(9) Within fifty (50) feet of the nearest rail of a railroad crossing;
(10) Within twenty (20) feet of the driveway entrance to any fire station and on the side of a street opposite the entrance to any fire station within seventy-five (75) feet of such entrance, when properly signposted;
(11) Alongside or opposite any street excavation or obstruction when stopping, standing, or parking would obstruct traffic;
(12) On a roadway side of any vehicle stopped or parked at the edge or curb of a street;
(13) Upon any bridge or other elevated structure upon a highway or within a highway tunnel;
(14) At any place where official signs prohibit stopping;
(15) In the area between the curb/street edge and a public sidewalk.
(b) No person shall move a vehicle not lawfully under his control into any such prohibited area or away from a curb such distance as is unlawful.
(c) Exceptions to this section shall apply only in cases where a driver of a vehicle is ordered to drive across a sidewalk or curb by a police officer or traffic control device, or in situations where emergency or maintenance work is undertaken by the city or authorized by the city through the issuance of a permit by the public works director or where marked parking spaces are placed on public streets by the city or the North Carolina Department of Transportation.
(Code 1982, 7-1151; Ord. of 2-4-97, 1; Ord. No. O-07-02-06-1, 2, 2-6-07; Ord. No. O-07-07-17-2, 2, 7-17-07; Ord. No. O-11-09-20-1, 2, 9-20-11)
State Law References: Parking in front of a private driveway, fire hydrant, fire station, intersections of curblines or fire lane, G.S. 20-162.