§ 155.056  COMMUNITY DESIGN STANDARDS.
   (A)   Exterior construction materials for development in the OP, C-1 through C-4 Zoning Districts and the I-1 and I-2 Freeway Overlay Zoning Districts.
      (1)   In the OP, C-1 through C-3 Zoning Districts and the I-1 and I-2 Freeway Overlay zoning districts, the exterior surfaces of all structures, including screening walls, wing walls, columns and supports, shall consist of at least 70% masonry construction materials. This requirement shall apply to new structures, expansion of existing structures, and any repair or alteration that involves more than 50% of the exterior surfaces of an existing structure. This requirement shall not apply to roofs, awnings, canopies, doors, windows, glass walls and frame assemblies thereof. The remaining 30% of the exterior surfaces may be constructed of masonry-like construction materials or any construction materials not expressly prohibited by this section.
      (2)   Development in the C-4 zoning district shall comply with the masonry construction requirements in division (1) above if a new structure is constructed on a vacant lot or on a lot where all pre-existing structures have been or will be demolished. In addition, a walk-in cooler or freezer and smoker or cooker that is attached to a new or existing building may be exempt from the requirements provided that the cooler, freezer, smoker or cooker is separated from the street by a building or screening that is compatible with the primary building and taller than the cooler, freezer, smoker or cooker.
      (3)   Masonry construction materials and masonry-like construction materials are as defined in § 155.012.
      (4)   The exterior wall surfaces of all new structures shall be constructed of at least two materials that compliment each other and are consistent in style.
      (5)   The following construction materials shall be prohibited on the exterior wall surfaces of all structures:
         (a)   Vinyl or aluminum siding;
         (b)   Plastic or fiberglass panels;
         (c)   Unfired or underfired clay, brick or other masonry product;
         (d)   Corrugated, ribbed or standing-seamed metal panels;
         (e)   Galvanized or aluminum coated metal cladding;
         (f)   Smooth, unfinished or untextured concrete masonry units or concrete walls; or
         (g)   Reflective glass.
      (6)   Any damage to the exterior surfaces of a structure shall be repaired within 120 days from the date the damage occurs.
      (7)   Existing structures that were lawful before the effective date of this chapter but which do not conform to the regulations of this chapter after its passage, shall be lawful nonconforming buildings or structures.
      (8)   Deviation from the above requirement may be accomplished only through Planned Development zoning.
      (9)   Facilities or development on property owned and used by the City of Mansfield and the Mansfield Independent School District are exempt from the masonry materials requirements of this section.
      (10)   When all other conditions are met, industrialized buildings for private schools and churches are permitted without masonry construction materials as long as the total floor area of the industrialized buildings does not exceed 35% of the total floor area of the primary structure.
   (B)   Exterior construction materials for development in the MF-1 and MF-2 Zoning Districts.
      (1)   In the MF-1 and MF-2 Zoning Districts, the exterior surface of all structures, including screening walls, wing walls, gables, and columns and supports, shall be constructed of at least 80% masonry construction materials. This requirement shall not apply to roofs, awnings, canopies, doors, windows, glass walls and frame assemblies thereof. The remaining 20% of the exterior surfaces may be constructed of masonry-like construction materials or any construction material not expressly prohibited by this section.
      (2)   Notwithstanding the above, chimneys and fireplaces on external wall surfaces shall be constructed of a minimum of 100% masonry construction. This requirement shall not apply to chimneys for fireplaces that are not on or part of the external wall.
      (3)   The following construction materials shall be prohibited:
         (a)   Plastic or fiberglass panels;
         (b)   Unfired or underfired clay, brick or other masonry product;
         (c)   Corrugated, ribbed or standing-seamed metal panels;
         (d)   Galvanized or aluminum coated metal cladding;
         (e)   Smooth, unfinished or untextured concrete masonry units or concrete walls; or
         (f)   Reflective glass.
      (4)   Existing structures that were lawful before May 10, 2004, but which do not conform to the regulations of this chapter after its passage, shall be lawful non-conforming buildings or structures.
      (5)   Deviation from the above requirement may be accomplished only through Planned Development zoning.
      (6)   Facilities or development on property owned and used by the City of Mansfield and the Mansfield Independent School District are exempt from the masonry materials requirement of this section.
      (7)   When all other conditions are met, industrialized buildings for private schools and churches are permitted without masonry construction materials as long as the total floor area of the industrialized buildings does not exceed 35% of the total floor area of the primary structure.
   (C)   Exterior construction materials for development in the SF, PR, or 2F Zoning Districts.
      (1)   In the SF, PR or 2F Zoning Districts, the exterior wall surfaces of all dwelling units and all non-residential development such as churches, schools or public facilities shall be constructed of at least 80% masonry construction materials, including gables. This requirement shall not apply to roofs, awnings, canopies, doors, windows, glass walls and frame assemblies thereof. The remaining 20% of the exterior surfaces may be constructed of masonry-like construction materials or any construction materials not expressly prohibited by this section.
      (2)   Notwithstanding the above, chimneys and fireplaces on external wall surfaces shall be constructed of a minimum of 100% masonry construction materials. This requirement shall not apply to chimneys for fireplaces that are not on or part of the external wall.
      (3)   The following construction materials shall be prohibited:
         (a)   Plastic or fiberglass panels;
         (b)   Unfired or underfired clay, brick or other masonry product;
         (c)   Corrugated, ribbed or standing-seamed metal panels;
         (d)   Galvanized or aluminum coated metal cladding;
         (e)   Smooth, unfinished or untextured concrete masonry units or concrete walls; or
         (f)   Reflective glass.
      (4)   Deviation from the above requirement may be accomplished through Planned Development zoning or through an appeal to the Board of Adjustment for a special exception as set forth in § 155.082.
      (5)   Notwithstanding the above, facilities or development on property owned and used by the City of Mansfield and the Mansfield Independent School District are exempt from the masonry materials requirements of this section.
      (6)   When all other conditions are met, industrialized buildings for private schools and churches are permitted without masonry construction materials as long as the total floor area of the industrialized buildings does not exceed 35% of the total floor area of the primary structure.
      (7)   The following properties in SF, PR or 2F zoning are automatically exempted from said masonry construction requirement:
         (a)   Properties that are part of a preliminary or final plat approved before February 12, 2001; and
         (b)   Existing dwelling units that are in legal conformance before the adoption date of the requirement described above; such dwelling units shall not be considered non-conforming uses due to non-compliance with the masonry construction requirement.
   (D)   Architectural attributes for residential development in the PR, SF and 2F Districts.
      (1)   Developments in a valid preliminary plat submitted for approval on or before November 12, 2012 shall be exempt from the requirements in this division.
      (2)   The front entry to a house shall be well-defined and kept proportional to the house. The front entry must be designed so as not to distract from the rest of the house.