Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) This chapter sets forth uniform requirements for direct and indirect contributors into the wastewater collection and treatment system for the Town of Maggie Valley, hereafter referred to as the town, and enables the town to comply with all applicable state and federal laws, including the Clean Water Act of 1977 (33 U.S.C. §§ 1251 et seq.) and the General Pretreatment Regulations (40 C.F.R. pt. 403).
(B) The objectives of this chapter are:
(1) To prevent the introduction of pollutants into the municipal wastewater system which will interfere with the operation of the system or contaminate the resulting sludge;
(2) To prevent the introduction of pollutants into the municipal wastewater system which will pass through the system, inadequately treated, into any waters of the state or otherwise be incompatible with the system;
(3) To protect municipal personnel who may be affected by sewage, sludge, and effluent in the course of their employment, as well as protecting the general public;
(4) To provide for the equitable distribution of the cost of operation, maintenance, and improvement of the municipal wastewater system; and
(5) To ensure that the municipality complies with its NPDES or non-discharge permit conditions, sludge use and disposal requirements, and any other federal or state laws to which the municipal wastewater system is subject.
(C) This chapter provides for the regulation of direct and indirect contributors to the municipal wastewater system, through the issuance of permits to certain nondomestic users and through enforcement of general requirements for the other users, authorizes monitoring and enforcement activities, requires user reporting, and provides for the setting of fees for the equitable distribution of costs resulting from the program established herein.
(D) This chapter shall apply to all users of the town’s wastewater system either within or outside of the town limits, as authorized by G.S. §§ 160A-312 and/or 153A-275. The town shall designate an administrator of the publically-owned treatment works (POTW) hereafter referred to as the POTW Director. Except as otherwise provided herein, the POTW Director shall administer, implement, and enforce the provisions of this chapter. Any powers granted to or imposed upon the POTW Director may be delegated by the POTW Director to other town personnel.
(E) It is the intent of the Town of Maggie Valley to extend sewer service only to those subdivisions, or other uses of land, that are laid out and constructed in accordance with the town’s zoning and subdivision ordinances. Therefore, nothing contained herein is intended to grant any authority to any individual to allow sewer collection to any subdivision, RV park, campground, commercial development, or other use of property, whether located within the corporate limits or not, unless that use of property was laid out and constructed in accordance with the town’s zoning and subdivision ordinances as they now exist or as they may be amended from time to time.
(Ord. 270, passed 10-16-2001)
(Ord. 256, passed 4-17-2001)