(a)   Each taxpayer, except as herein provided, shall, whether or not a tax be due thereon, make and file on or before April 15 of the year following the effective date of this chapter, and on or before April 15 of each year thereafter.  When the return is made for a fiscal year or other period different from the calendar year, the return shall be filed within one hundred five days from the end of such fiscal year or period.  The Tax Commissioner is hereby authorized to provide by regulation that the return of an employer, showing the amount of tax deducted by such employer from the salaries, wages, commissions or other compensation of an employee, and paid by him or them to the Tax Commissioner shall be accepted as the return required of any employee whose sole income, subject to tax under this chapter, is such salary, wages, commissions or other compensation.
   (b)   The return shall be filed with the Tax Commissioner on a form or forms furnished by or obtainable upon request from such Tax Commissioner setting forth:
      (1)   The aggregate amounts of salaries, wages, commissions and other compensation earned and gross income from business, profession or other activity, less allowable expenses incurred in the acquisition of such gross income earned during the preceding year and subject to such tax;
      (2)   The amount of tax imposed by this chapter on such earnings and profits; and
      (3)   Such other pertinent statements, information returns, or other information as the Tax Commissioner may require.
   (c)   The Tax Commissioner may extend the time for filing of the annual return upon the request of the taxpayer for a period of not to exceed six months, or one month beyond any extension requested of or granted by the Internal Revenue Service for the filing of the Federal income tax return.  The Tax Commissioner may require a tentative return, accompanied by payment of the amount of tax shown to be due thereon by the date the return is normally due.  No penalty or interest shall be assessed in those cases in which the return is filed and the final tax paid within the period as extended.
   (d)   (1)   The taxpayer making a return shall, at the time of the filing hereof, pay to the Tax Commissioner the amount of taxes shown as due thereon; provided however, that where any portion of the tax so due shall have been deducted at the source pursuant to the provisions of Section 171.06 , or where any portion of such tax shall have been paid by the taxpayer pursuant to the provisions of Section 171.07 , or where an income tax has been paid to another municipality, credit for the amount so paid in accordance with Section 171.15 shall be deducted from the amount shown to be due and only the balance, if any, shall be due and payable at the time of filing such return.
      (2)   A taxpayer  who has overpaid the amount of tax to which the Village is entitled under the provisions of this chapter may have such overpayment applied against any subsequent liability hereunder or, at his election indicated on the return, such overpayment or part thereof shall be refunded, provided that no additional taxes or refunds of less than one dollar ($1.00) shall be collected or refunded.
   (e)   Amended Returns.
      (1)   Where necessary an amended return must be filed in order to report additional income and pay any additional tax due, or claim a refund of tax overpaid, subject to the requirements and/or limitations contained in Sections 171.11 and 171.15 .  Such amended returns shall be on a form obtainable on request from the Tax Commissioner.  A taxpayer may not change the method of accounting or apportionment of net profits after the due date for filing the original return.
      (2)   Within three months from the final determination of any Federal tax liability affecting the taxpayer's Village tax liability, such taxpayer shall make and file an amended Village return showing income subject to the Village tax based upon such final determination of Federal tax liability, and pay any additional tax shown due thereon or make claim for refund of any overpayment.