Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) In order to safeguard life, health and property, any person, firm, partnership or corporation practicing or offering to practice the following types of work or to contract that work in Louisville Metro, shall hereafter be required to be licensed/identified with Louisville Metro, and it shall be unlawful for any person, firm, partnership or corporation to practice or offer to practice that type of work in Louisville Metro unless such person, firm, partnership or corporation has been duly licensed/identified under the provisions of this chapter. No person, firm, partnership or corporation shall obtain a permit unless they are an identified or licensed contractor or property owner.
(B) No license or identification granted under the provisions of this subchapter may be assigned or transferred.
(C) All identified/licensed contractors shall notify the Department within five working days if the person, firm, partnership or corporation changes ownership or changes the business name or address. All licensees shall notify the Department within five working days if the licensee changes contractors.
(D) Any identification/license may be revoked or suspended for the following causes:
(1) Submission of a false affidavit or information in connection with the license, identification or permit application.
(2) Failure to comply with this subchapter within 15 days after having received written notice of such violations from the Department.
(3) Failure to obtain permits in advance of work to be performed when such permits are required by code.
(4) Failure to correct any code deficiency in any work within the time specified in the notification of such code deficiency or within such additional time as may be allowed upon request to the Department.
(5) Failure to purchase and maintain insurance or bonds as required by this subchapter with an insurance company licensed or approved to do business in Kentucky.
(6) Repeated failure to schedule required inspections or to notify the Department when permitted work is completed.
(E) When the identification/license of any licensee is revoked, such licensee shall be required to submit an application for approval and pass the required examination, if required, before a new identification/license shall be issued.
(F) Payment of license or identification fees as described in the fee section of this subchapter shall be made prior to issuing any license or identification.
(G) Before a permit may be issued, all contractors are required by this section to do the following:
(1) Provide the Department through affidavit that the person, firm, partnership or corporation shall be in compliance with the Kentucky requirements for Workers' Compensation Insurance according to KRS Chapter 342 and Unemployment Insurance according to KRS Chapter 341, unless a certificate of insurance for a specific amount of coverage is required in detail under the type of identification/license that the contractor has obtained;
(2) Submit a certificate of insurance verifying that the person, firm, partnership, or corporation has obtained a commercial general liability insurance policy with limits of liability of not less than $250,000 per person per occurrence and $500,000 aggregate, including products and completed operations coverage;
(3) Have their workers' compensation and commercial general liability insurance policies endorsed to state that written notice of the company's intention to terminate or cancel said policy will be sent by their insurance company to the Department at least 30 days before the cancellation shall take effect, as required by KRS 304.20 - 304.320. Upon the date of expiration, the Code Official shall cause the affected contractor's identification/license to become suspended until such time as satisfactory evidence of a new insurance policy is presented to the Department;
(4) Provide a surety bond, if required by this section, that shall require that its surety company notify the Department in writing of its intention to terminate or cancel such bond at least 30 days before the cancellation shall take effect. Upon the date of expiration, the Code Official shall cause the affected contractor's identification to become suspended until such time as evidence of a new bond is presented to the Department;
(5) Properly identify all vehicles used in the operations of the contractor listing the name of the company and any required license and or identification numbers;
(H) Any licensee or identified building contractor who is seeking a renewal of their identification/license must provide the name, current business address, email address (if available), current telephone number for any direct construction trade/labor subcontractor who worked under, or for, the licensee or identified building contractor in the previous year and whether such subcontractor represented he or she had general liability insurance, provided licensee or identified building contractor shall not be liable for a misrepresentation by the subcontractor to any information provided herein in subsection (H).
(I) Any licensee or identified building contractor who has not renewed their identification/license within a period of one year after it expired shall be subject to reexamination, as determined by the Code Official, and pay the required license fee for the years for which the identification/license was not renewed and any associated penalties and continuing educational units required.
(J) A royal blue placard, issued or approved by the Department upon issuance of a building permit for construction activity for everything, other than for construction of a new building in excess of 800 square feet, must be placed on the exterior of the construction site and clearly visible from the public right-of-way. The placard must be removed within seven business days upon completion of final inspection and approval by Codes and Regulations.
(1994 Jeff. Code, § 150.083) (Jeff. Ord. 10-1991, adopted and effective 4-25-1991; Lou. Metro Am. Ord. No. 267-2007, approved 12-10-2007; Lou. Metro Am. Ord. No. 29-2019, approved 3-14-2019, effective 7-1-2019) Penalty, see § 150.999