Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) It shall be unlawful for any person within Jefferson County to violate any of the following subsections of this section:
(1) No person when in a public place and with intent to cause public inconvenience, annoyance or alarm, or wantonly creating a risk thereof, shall:
(a) Engage in fighting or in violent, tumultuous or threatening behavior; or
(b) Make unreasonable noise; or
(c) Refuse to obey an official order to disperse, issued to maintain public safety in dangerous proximity to a fire, hazard or other emergency; or
(d) Create a hazardous or physically offensive condition by any act that serves no legitimate purpose.
(2) No person, with intent to harass, annoy or alarm another person, shall:
(a) Strike, shove, kick or otherwise subject another to physical contact or attempt or threaten to do the same; or
(b) Follow a person in or about a public place or places; or
(c) Engage in a course of conduct or repeatedly commit acts which alarm or seriously annoy such other person and which serve no legitimate purpose.
(3) No person shall throw any stone, snowball, or any missile on or at any vehicle, building, tree, or other public or private property, or at any person in any public or private way or place or enclosed or unenclosed ground; or
(4) No person shall throw any stone, snowball, or any other missile from any vehicle, either moving, stopped, or parked, on or at any building, tree, sign, or other public private property, or on or at any person in any public or private way or place or enclosed or unenclosed ground; or
(5) No person shall loiter or remain in a public place for the purpose of unlawful gambling, except that the provisions of this subsection shall not apply if the person is participating in charitable gaming defined by KRS 238.505; or
(6) No person shall loiter or remain in a public place for the purpose of unlawfully using a controlled substance; or
(7) No person shall loiter or remain in a school, college or university building or grounds, not having any reason or relationship involving custody of or responsibility for a pupil or student or any other specific legitimate reason for being there and not having written permission from anyone authorized to grant same; or
(8) No person shall loiter or remain in any transportation facility, unless specifically authorized to do so, for the purpose of soliciting or engaging in any business, trade or commercial transactions involving the sale of merchandise or services; or
(9) No person shall appear in any public place with intent to obtain money from other persons by any illegal or fraudulent scheme, trick, artifice, or device; or
(10) No person shall make an appointment, solicit, offer, or agree to commit any act of prostitution, or aid, abet, allow, permit, or participate in the Commission of such act or acts; or
(11) No person shall appear in any house or other establishment of prostitution, or any place where unlawful gaming is being engaged in or the illegal sale or possession of alcoholic beverages or unlawfully used controlled substances is practiced, allowed, or tolerated; or
(12) No person shall disrupt any meeting or procession or gathering, when, with intent to prevent or disrupt a lawful meeting, procession or gathering, he does any act tending to obstruct or interfere with it physically or makes any utterance, gesture or display designed to outrage the sensibilities of the group; or
(13) No person shall unlawfully congregate with another or others in or on any public way so as to halt the flow of vehicular or pedestrian traffic and refuses to clear the public way when told to do so by a member of the Louisville Metro Police Department or other lawful authority; or
(14) No person shall refuse or fail to comply with any lawful order, signal, or direction of a police officer in the control of vehicular traffic; or
(15) No person shall physically hamper, obstruct, impede, or interfere with any member of the Louisville Metro Police Department while in the discharge or apparent discharge of his or her lawful duties; or
(16) No person shall obstruct any firefighter or any member of the Fire Department while in the discharge or apparent discharge of his or her duty or in any way hamper, impede, or interfere with him or her in the discharge of his or her duty; or
(17) No person shall urinate or defecate on any sidewalk, street, or floor in public buildings or on any other public place within Jefferson County; or
(18) No person shall occupy, lodge, or sleep in any vacant or unoccupied barn, garage, shed, shop, or other building or structure, or in any automobile, truck, railroad car, or other vehicle, without owning it or without permission of the owner or person entitled to possession of it, or sleep in any vacant lot, or in any alley, street, or on any sidewalk, or under any bridge, or in any park or other public property during the hours of darkness; or
(19) No person over 14 years of age shall assume a mask, false face, cover or partial cover, or other apparel with intent to conceal his identity or counterfeit another with the intent to prevent disclosure or recognition in any public street or other public place.
(B) Any person who violates any subsection of this section shall be charged with the offense of disorderly conduct, and on conviction thereof, shall be found guilty of disorderly conduct. The penalty for violation of this section shall be up to a $250 fine and/or 90 days in jail.
(1999 Lou. Code, § 132.03) (Lou. Ord. No. 192-1967, approved 11-1-1967; Lou. Am. Ord. No. 105-1997, approved 5-27-1997; Lou. Metro Am. Ord. No. 34-2007, approved 3-26-2007; Lou. Metro Am. Ord. No. 291-2007, approved 12-20-2007; Lou. Metro Am. Ord. No. 152-2012, approved 8-27-2012; Lou Metro Am. Ord. No. 24-2018, approved 3-8-2018)