Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) The certificate holder is solely responsible for obtaining an inspection sticker for every vehicle for hire authorized under its certificate. The inspection sticker must be displayed on the vehicle as prescribed by the Director.
(B) An application for an inspection sticker shall be filed by the certificate holder of the affected vehicle for hire with the Director on forms provided by the Department and said application shall contain the following information:
(1) The legal name, including the registered trade name, of the certificate holder of the vehicle(s) for hire; and
(2) The number of vehicles for hire for which the certificate holder is making application; and
(3) The make, model, type, year of manufacture, and passenger seating capacity of each vehicle for hire; and the vehicle number, vehicle identification number, license plate number, the state-issued license tag number and the county in which the vehicle is registered, for each vehicle; and
(4) Any other information required by the Director.
(C) Each application shall be accompanied by the following:
(1) A certificate of insurance, copy of an indemnity bond, or plan of self-insurance approved by the State of Kentucky, Department of Transportation for each vehicle for hire; and
(2) A safety certificate signed by an approved mechanic for each vehicle for hire must be submitted to the Department prior to the inspection of any vehicle for hire. This verification must be in the from of an affidavit from the certificate holder to the Department with a statement in the affidavit certifying that all the requirements set forth in this subchapter regarding mechanical inspection have been met. This affidavit shall be attached to the roster of vehicles for hire to be inspected; and
(3) Any other information required by the Director.
(D) Each applicant and certificate holder shall inform the Director immediately whenever the information required by this section changes.
(E) Each vehicle for hire for which application is being made shall be properly registered in and/or have its title transferred within Louisville Metro. Vehicles purchased outside Louisville Metro to be utilized as vehicles for hire shall have their registrations properly transferred within Louisville Metro prior to the issuance of the License or the inspection sticker. Vehicles not registered in Kentucky may be utilized as vehicles for hire for temporary periods, not to exceed 30 days in a 12-month period, upon application being made and payment of a $20 fee per vehicle.
(F) The Director shall, on consideration of the application and the items attached thereto, approve the application for an inspection sticker whenever the following findings are made:
(1) The applicant has been granted a certificate(s), or issued a letter, by the Commonwealth of Kentucky, Department of Transportation, authorizing the applicant to operate the designated number of vehicles for hire at, from or within Louisville Metro; and
(2) There is in full force and effect an indemnity bond, liability insurance policy or approved plan of self-insurance as required by this subchapter for each vehicle for hire which application is made; and
(3) The applicant has provided the information and items requested in this subchapter and any other information required by the Director; and
(4) The information provided and statements made are determined to be true and correct.
(G) On approval of an application for an inspection sticker, payment of a $20 fee, and the successful completion of the inspection for each initial and semiannual inspection, the Director shall issue an inspection sticker to the applicant. The inspection sticker shall be in effect for a maximum of six months and shall expire at midnight on April 30 and October 31 each year. A renewal inspection sticker for each six-month period thereafter shall be issued upon compliance by the certificate holder with the requirements of this subchapter and the related rules and regulations.
(H) The Director shall prescribe the size, form, and content of each inspection sticker and shall prescribe the manner in which the inspection sticker shall be displayed upon the vehicle for hire.
(1999 Lou. Code, § 111.560) (Lou. Ord. No. 115-1979, approved 8-17-1979; Lou. Am. Ord. No. 370-1987, approved 12-28-1987; Lou. Am. Ord. No. 172-1996, approved 8-28-1996; Lou. Am. Ord. No. 0045-2002, § 1, approved 3-29-2002; Lou. Metro Am. Ord. No. 223-2005, approved 12-27-2005)