Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) All buildings located within the City that are vacant commercial buildings shall be registered by the owner or person in control thereof with the Fire Department within ninety (90) days after the effective date of this Chapter. Every commercial building that subsequently becomes vacant shall be registered by the owner or person in control thereof with the Fire Department within thirty (30) days from the date of the last occupancy or within thirty (30) days of being notified by the Fire Department of the requirement to register based on evidence of vacancy.
(b) Registration shall be made on forms provided by the Fire Chief and verified by the owner or person in control of the vacant commercial building and shall contain all of the following:
(1) The name, address and telephone number of the owner and/or person in control;
(2) The name, address and telephone number of the authorized agent. The authorized agent shall be a person that is twenty one (21) years of age or older and resides within Lorain County, Ohio;
(3) The name, address and telephone number of all known lien holders and all other parties with any legal interest in the vacant commercial building and property;
(4) If the vacant commercial building is for sale, the name, address and telephone number of the company and the realtor or agent responsible for marketing the property;
(5) The address of the vacant commercial building and the permanent parcel tax identification number of the land on which the vacant commercial building is located;
(6) The date on which the building became vacant or will become vacant;
(7) The reason for the vacancy and the estimated length of time the building is expected to remain vacant;
(c) No person shall furnish false information to the Fire Department in the Registration Form.
(d) A Commercial Building Registration shall expire one year from the date of issuance and must be renewed annually by submitting an updated application to the City of Lorain unless a transfer of title to the vacant commercial building has been completed and can be proven. The Lorain Fire Department shall notify each commercial property owner of the need to renew thirty (30) days prior to the expiration of the registration. It is the responsibility of the commercial property owner to submit an application prior to the registration expiration date.
(e) No person, including but not limited to, an owner, person in control, purchaser, escrow agent, real estate agent or realtor, shall participate in a transfer of title to, or disburse proceeds from a transfer of title to, a vacant commercial building without having in escrow with the agent handling the transfer of title to the property, a copy of a registration form completed by the purchaser of the property and the annual registration fee in a amount based on the duration oftime the building has been vacant. The escrow documents and the annual registration fee shall be forwarded to the Fire Chief upon the transfer of title. The annual registration fee shall not be prorated. In the event that the transfer of title is completed within ninety (90) days from the end of the calendar year, the annual registration fee shall be applied to the following calendar year.
(f) No owner or person in control of a vacant commercial building shall fail to notify the Fire Department and file an amended registration form within seven (7) days of any change in the registration information required by this section.
(Ord. 69-16. Passed 7-5-16.)