Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Safety Zone Boundaries: In order to carry out the purpose of this Ordinance, as set forth above, to restrict those uses which may be hazardous to the operational safety of aircraft operating to and from the Little Falls/Morrison County Airport, and, furthermore, to limit population and building density in the runway approach areas, thereby creating sufficient open space to protect life and property in case of an accident, there are hereby created and established the following land use safety zones:
1. SAFETY ZONE A: All land in that portion of the approach zones of a runway, as defined in SECTION IV A hereof, which extends outward from the end of the primary surface a distance equal to two-thirds of the planned length of the runway, which distance shall be:
a. Two thousand six hundred seventy four (2,674) feet for Runway 13-31.
b. One thousand nine hundred four (1,904) feet for future Runway 18-36.
c. One thousand nine hundred thirty five (1,935) feet for existing Runway 18-36 until the runway is decommissioned. At that point, there shall be no Safety Zone A for existing Runway 18-36.
2. SAFETY ZONE B: All land in that portion of the approach zones of a runway, as defined in SECTION IV A hereof, which extends outward from Safety Zone A for a distance equal to one-third of the planned length of the runway, which distance shall be:
a. One thousand three hundred thirty six (1,336) feet for Runway 13-31.
b. Nine hundred fifty two (952) feet for future Runway 18-36.
c. Nine hundred sixty seven (967) feet for existing Runway 18-36 until the Runway is decommissioned. At that point, there shall be no Safety Zone B for existing Runway 18-36.
3. SAFETY ZONE C: All land which is enclosed within the perimeter of the horizontal zone, as defined in SUBSECTION IV A hereof, and which is not included in Safety Zone A or Safety Zone B.
4. EXCEPTIONS – ESTABLISHED RESIDENTIAL NEIGHBORHOODS: There are no lands designated as Established Residential Neighborhoods in Built-Up Urban Areas based upon the status of development existing on January 1, 1978.
B. USE RESTRICTIONS:
1. GENERAL: Subject at all times to the height restrictions set forth in SECTION IV B, no use shall be made of any land in any of the safety zones defined in SECTION V A which creates or causes interference with the operations of radio or electronic facilities on the airport or with radio or electronic communications between the airport and aircraft, make it difficult for pilots to distinguish between airport lights and other lights, results in glare in the eyes of pilots using the airport, impairs visibility in the vicinity of the airport, or otherwise endangers the landing, taking off, or maneuvering of aircraft.
2. ZONE A: Subject at all times to the height restrictions set forth in Subsection IV B and to the general restrictions contained in Subsection V B 1, areas designated as Zone A shall contain no buildings, temporary structures, exposed transmission lines, or other similar above-ground land use structural hazards, and shall be restricted to those uses which will not create, attract, or bring together an assembly of persons thereon. Permitted uses may include, but are not limited to, such uses as agriculture (seasonal crops), horticulture, animal husbandry, raising of livestock, wildlife habitat, light outdoor recreation (non-spectator), cemeteries, and automobile parking.
3. ZONE B: Subject at all times to the height restrictions set forth in Subsection IV B, and to the general restrictions contained in Subsection V B 1, areas designated as Zone B shall be restricted in use as follows:
a. Each use shall be on a site whose area shall not be less than three (3) acres.
b. Each use shall not create, attract, or bring together a site population that would exceed fifteen (15) times that of the site acreage.
c. Each site shall have no more than one (1) building plot upon which any number of structures may be erected.
d. A building plot shall be a single, uniform, and non-contrived area, whose shape is uncomplicated and whose area shall not exceed the following minimum ratios with respect to the total site area:
Building Plot Area
Maximum Site Population
3.00 – 3.99 acres
10,900 sq. ft.
4.00 – 5.99 acres
17,400 sq. ft.
6.00 – 9.99 acres
32,600 sq. ft.
10.00 – 19.99 acres
72,500 sq. ft.
218,000 sq. ft.
e. The following uses are specifically prohibited in Zone B: Churches, hospitals, schools, theaters, stadiums, hotels, motels, trailer courts, campgrounds, and other places of frequent public or semipublic assembly.
4. ZONE C: Zone C is subject only to height restrictions set forth in SECTION V B, and to the general restrictions contained in SECTION V B 1.
5. EXEMPTIONS – ESTABLISHED RESIDENTIAL NEIGHBORHOODS: There are no lands designated as Established Residential Neighborhoods in Built-Up Urban Areas based upon the status of development existing on January 1, 1978.
C. BOUNDARY LIMITATIONS: The land use zoning restrictions set forth in this section shall apply for a distance not to exceed one (1) mile beyond the perimeter of the airport boundary and in that portion of an airport hazard area under the approach zone for a distance not exceeding two (2) miles from the airport boundary.