Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Generally. Every person desiring a license to conduct sales activity in the city as an itinerant vendor shall make a written application therefor to the Chief of Police. Applications may be picked up from the Chief of Police or City Secretary.
(B) Application. The application shall be made on a form approved by the Chief of Police and state the following:
(1) Name and business address and phone number of applicant;
(2) Name, address and phone number of the person, firm or corporation applicant is representing; the agent for service of process of a corporation and/or name and address of any owner of a business not incorporated and the assumed name of said business filed in the index in the county of its home office, for any business;
(3) Attached to the application shall be a certified original copy of sales tax permit issued by the Comptroller of the state;
(4) Statement of the kind, type and character of solicitation and/or the goods that applicant will offer for sale, and state whether the purchaser of such wares or goods shall be required to make any deposit or advance payment of purchase price before delivery and a complete and full statement of the delivery date;
(5) The period of time the applicant wishes to sell or solicit in the city;
(6) Location or area of the city where sales activity will be conducted within the city;
(7) List of all convictions of all felonies, misdemeanors and violations of this chapter of applicant and representatives, stating the offense, city and state, the court of conviction and the punishment imposed;
(8) Name and phone number of three character witnesses for applicant who can be contacted within 48 hours;
(9) If sales are to be conducted from one or more stationary locations the applicant shall submit written consent of the property owner or its authorized agent consenting to applicant’s use of such private property for sales activity indicated in permit application;
(10) Names of each employee, agent or representative for whom the applicant will sell, offer, exhibit or solicit orders for the sale of goods, wares or merchandise for or on behalf of the applicant;
(11) The name of all cities in which the applicant has conducted sales activity in the last 180 days;
(12) Must be accompanied by a valid driver’s license or identification with photo; and
(13) The application shall be made under oath of the applicant.
(C) Duration of licenses. A license granted under this chapter shall be valid for 180 days but may be renewed once for 180 days, if made within the initial 180-day period of the original licenses. Each applicant or representative for renewal must verify permit information as correct and file copies of sales tax returned for the prior license period.
(D) Application and renewal fees.
(1) A fee of $50 shall be charged for processing said application to partially defray the expenses of enforcing the provisions of this chapter. Such fee is nonrefundable.
(2) A renewal of application shall be $25 if submitted within 180 days of the original application.
(E) License nontransferable. Any license issued under this chapter is not transferable.
(F) Non-profit charitable organization exemption from fee. Non-profit charitable organizations which engage in the sales activities defined by this chapter shall be required to comply with the terms of this chapter except from the payment of the application fee. Such organizations shall, for each worker or volunteer for such organization be required to furnish to the Chief of Police the names and addresses of all workers or volunteers and provide them with identification badges prior to engaging in any sales activities. Identification badges shall be a card of at least three inches by three inches bearing the name of the salesperson, the name of the non-profit organization, the goods to be sold and the city permit number, and shall be approved by the Chief of Police.
(G) Markets. Markets, commonly known as flea markets, which engage in multiple sales activities conducted by multiple vendors displaying their goods shall be required to comply with the provisions of this chapter but shall only be required to obtain a license; provided the person responsible for such market shall list each vendor and such vendor’s address on the application for a license.
(Ord. 04-97, passed 4-7-1997; Ord. 09-02-05, passed 9-9-2002)