Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Definition: The following are hereby declared public nuisances under this chapter:
(1) Any dead or dying tree, shrub or other plant located on village owned or private property;
(2) Any otherwise healthy tree, shrub or other plant, whether located on village owned property or on private property, which harbors insects or diseases which reasonably may be expected to injure or harm any tree, shrub or other plant on public property;
(3) Any tree, shrub or other plant or portion thereof, whether located on village owned property or on private property, which by reason of location or condition constitutes an imminent danger to the health, safety or welfare of the general public;
(4) Any tree, shrub or other plant or portion thereof located on village owned property or on private property which obstructs the free passage of pedestrian or vehicular traffic or which obstructs a street sign on village property;
(5) Any tree, shrub or other plant or portion thereof whether located on village owned property or on private property which dangerously obstructs the view as such may be determined by the village engineer pursuant to ordinance.
(B) Right To Inspect: The officers, agents, servants and employees of the village have the authority to enter onto private property whereon there is located a tree, shrub, plant or plant part that is suspected to be a public nuisance as outlined in divisions (A)(4) and (A)(5) of this section.
(1) Any tree or shrub which overhangs any sidewalk, street or other public place in the village, or is determined to be a nuisance under this chapter, should be trimmed by the owner of the abutting premises or of the premises on which such trees or shrubs grow so that the obstruction or nuisance shall cease.
(Ord. 12-2-1878, passed 2-13-2012)